View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Sorry after catching it and finding her I was polite as I could be, the dog wasn't under control and if my saying so upset her well she should be upset she nearly got her dog killed possibly caused an accident with people at risk. Think I was as calm as I could have been with her really.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Sorry after catching it and finding her I was polite as I could be, the dog wasn't under control and if my saying so upset her well she should be upset she nearly got her dog killed possibly caused an accident with people at risk. Think I was as calm as I could have been with her really.
For what it's worth I think you did exactly right. Your concern was for the dog.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Juile, I'm not saying you did anything wrong, for it seems as if she deserved to be berated, and probably far worse than what you did. You did well, IMO, actually. Tying it's mouth shut? That's horrible!

I'm sure you were as polite as possible. You seem like the type that would not have shouted etc. at the woman, as many people would have. You also, like many people here, seem like a true dog lover.

In my experience with these types of people (very common around here) the only mistake you made was thinking she cared, or that your words would mean anything to her.

That error was a large one, indeed, for had you not made it... you'd not have needed this thread and would not have had to go through this anguish. BTW.. sorry you had to go through that. Extremely rude people can be tough to deal with.

Had she truly cared about her dog, she'd have NOT tied it's mouth shut and blabbered away on the phone without paying a lick of attention to it. Had she cared about you or your feelings, she'd not have been so rude.

That is why I implied you wasted your time and if I lived where someone would truly care... I'd have not even returned the dog to her most likely. BTW.. I'm not trying to be mean, rude, or terrible, just trying to give some insight to the title of the thread.

Have a good one
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2013, 10:37 PM
I think you did the right thing, Julie. Anyone who uses a Halti should have read the manual that comes with it, and should know that you should never leave it on a dog off-lead outdoors, so there's one mistake. Leaving the lead attached is another, potentially very serious one. It could get snagged on something and injure the dog. The lead wrapped around the dog's face, muzzling them? And not paying attention? Another huge mistake. Not being able to open their mouth could easily panic a dog, especially if the owner isn't paying any attention. I'm sorry they didn't respond to your concerns. Good on you that you took the poor thing under your wing.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Well I think I did my best at the time, people saying take it home etc obviously are in a position to do so, I wouldn't bring a strange adult dog into my home with my two and my little grand niece unless I was 100% sure it was fine with other dogs and small children. Call me bad if you think that is wrong but mine come first especially my grand niece at all times.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2013, 09:09 AM
If you brought home every dog who needed better care than they were getting you'd need a thousand acre ranch and a full-time staff a hundred strong. How could you be bad for considering the welfare of your own first?

You didn't do what many others would have, which is nothing. Who knows, maybe your calling the owner out may have registered somewhere in the back of their brain. In any case, you helped a dog in trouble, and that's good by any measure.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2013, 10:09 AM
That's very true over the years we have found several dogs, and foxes if we brought them all home I can't see the council being very impressed as we only have permission for two dogs.

And if we started snatching dogs well what's to say someone wouldn't look at us one day and take ours, I like to think how I keep my dogs is perfect but anyone else may think it isn't !
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2013, 10:21 AM
I think good responsible owners have their dogs best interests at heart.Be a bit naive to think you can have a dog for years and not make an odd mistake now and again( minor of course) A new dog of course brings new challenges,imagine its like learning all over again,but some dog owners baffle me Life is so much easier with a well behaved,well adjusted dog.Can't understand why allowing them to run riot and in danger doesn't cause the owner to have a heart attack maybe that's just me
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Some people, just don't deserve Dogs! You did the right thing.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2013, 05:00 PM
No WAY would I have kept the dog, hopefully I didn't insinuate that!

#1 I don't steal people's pets, I wasn't raised like that
#2 I can't afford another dog (barely can afford these two)
#3 I fear Jade would rip an intruding adult dog to pieces
#4 I have a puppy, and he cannot fight off an adult dog yet
#5 I have two indoor cats, small, old, and weak
#6 I have a decrepit father, who cannot risk a dog attack

MANY MORE!

I would have probably ushered the dog to a shelter instead of returning it to her incompetent self. She'd have been free to go and get it.

With it's mouth wound like that, it's probably would I'd have done, especially as there is little risk of being bitten by the dog.

In any case, let's hope that she does better by her doggy in the future.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >