Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2019, 06:38 AM

Daily Thread, Saturday, 11th October, 2019

Good morning all, Not sure what the weather is going to do today , very overcast at present. How are you all, well, I hope, and your dogsey friends too.

Have a good day everyone, stay warm and dry and above all safe and well. Harvey trust you are progressing ok. God bless all.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Morning Moyra and all to follow.
Weather bit iffy here overcast and breezy with some rain in the wind. thank goodness though the winds have eased off.

Barry looks and sounds like our Upwell house. Took us 4+ years to get ito some sort of decent redoing of the messed up jobs and be sound in the knowledge it was a lot better when we sold it on than it was when we bought it.
There will always be something in that house though that needs doing or redoing partly due to it's age 300 + years old.
griff hope you're feeling well and have not had to deal with anymore spying.
Harvey hope you are feeling ok.

Well no one turned up at 6.30 this morning to do the gates. So has hopefully got the message he has lost the job due to his lax timekeeping and poor excuses.
So now Gorden has a day or two of hanging gates which we weren't anticipating.
Haven't seen Kazz for a while hope your ok.
Also Mandy.
Guess it's life getting in the way. As long as both are well.

Hope everyone and all four legged friends are well today.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Good morning Moyra, Lynn and all who follow

Hope the weather holds for hanging the gates Lynn.

Wet wet wet here. Did manage to get a nice long walk in before it really started again it was just the odd spot whilst out so we got home dry. Nothing else planned for the day so will see what it throws at me I do so wan to get out into the garden to start the tidy up for winter.

Hope all are well especially you Griff and Harvey

Have a good day and stay safe.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Glad you didn't get wet Sue.

Matey has been in touch with Gorden. I can after 1 as i said I have my children for the weekend.
Gorden replied we don't expect you to work the weekend enjoy the weekend with your kids.
Gorden has already started on the gates has to go out for more screws we need 16 he ordered 10. Where's the rolling eyes emoji when you need it.
The posts are the correct distance but we were meant to be able to swing the hand gate out onto the path for a few minutes to get the van off he hasn't allowed for that his suggestion. Would've been useful but not the end of the world as we can lift it off.
So all in all mind on to many other things or jobs or potential of jobs.
We are wondering if he has had other work pulled from under him.
Silly silly boy as Gorden said the nature of being self employed is you rarely get a day off you really have to be good at planning the jobs.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Morning all. When we moved into this house it was a nightmare to. Why do some people think they can do things when they obviously can't? The shed that was at the bottom of the garden was a death trap. And the ceiling above the stairs was held up by old flourescent tubing covered over by a false ceiling. We had great fun knocking down the old shed and venting our anger on it after our nightmare situation in our other house with very very bad neighbours. But never mind all good now with nice neighbours and ceiling fixed and a proper shed. Just hqve to get hubby back on track again and hope that nothing else goes awry. Have a very good day all.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-10-2019, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Harvey trust you are progressing ok.

Moyra - Thank you, bit better today and (in theory) my immune system should be recovering now so better still tomorrow I do appreciate everyones good wishes.

Guess what ? I have at last worked out how to subscribe I had another go and used my 'Debit Card' and it worked and Griff & I have even exchanged some PM's

So you might get a PM from me if I see any places for rent that might suit you. It will not be that often as I only buy the Bury Free Press occassionly and that's the only place I might see something. I think you said you were more or less settled now anyway but for myself I find it useful to know what's on the market (even if I'm not about to move.)

I must say that I would have thought Azz would put something on the 'subscribe' page to say that credit cards do not work, are we all supposed to be telepathic or have some incredible supernatural powers

Anyway, hope you're all well, weather here is fine misty rain and a tad cold so I'll be indoors most of today with the heating on, I must check theoil today 'tho. It's usually November before we need to order.

Bye for now
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Silly silly boy as Gorden said the nature of being self employed is you rarely get a day off you really have to be good at planning the jobs.

Completely agree with Gordon, we had a guy (late 20's) put a shed in when we moved here, he did a good job but I couldn't get him interested in some other jobs, eventually he told me about his father (Roy) so I contacted him and he's in his fifties and was round immediately and has proved to be ultra reliable and he told me that he was trying to educate his son to be ready to go whenever work appears but he was having great problems trying to convince his son that he has to work weekends if he wants to get business.

I blame the media, they make it all look so easy, these makeover programmes spend hundreds of thousands but never mention costs (the real costs) on the programmes. Also I would love to know what Gordon thinks about the schools approach to things like dedication, hard work, and lets face it competition. Sorry that's verging on the political So now I can do PM's do send me your views it would be interesting to have a view from someone involved in schools and education now, my memories are all too far back
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Good to see you Harvey.
brenda we know the feeling well. If Upwell hadn't of had the front door right on the road we would of possibly put up with the shared drive we did have the odd little problem with Paul and Beth but because we respected each other and were friends it was soon sorted.
I do miss them and the river outside the front window but alas no decent park walks for Dillon who now needs them more than ever due to his joints.
Plus there was the macerator toilet upstairs always giving us some problem or other.
Wasn't so bad though once we had a proper one in downstairs.

Gorden got hand gate almost on. I have tidied spare room made up the bed and brushed Dillon.Wonder if the guy will turn up hoping t pick up the work ? He did say he wants to hang the gates, more likely wants his £70 to bad now Gorden has used some of it for the extra screws needed.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-10-2019, 10:49 AM
Gorden doesn't really deal with the schools so much now Harvey except for placing students although they can cause him to tear out what little hair he has left.
They agree to a student placing then for the slightest thing decide they cannot manage them, they forget they are training some want them to take over a class which is not possible they are training or forget they do not know the school etiquette and sometimes put their foot in it.
So the decision is made they can't keep them on, Gorden and his colleagues sometimes have to point out the reason they are called student teachers.
Then there are some students well don't get us started. not wanting to travel more than 1/2 hour or want somewhere on the doorstep.
No concept of getting essays in on time and it goes on.

We say they have been a bit molly coddled some of them.
Our boys left school at 16 wanted to earn money and they did if they were out partying the night before they dragged themselves into work.
Mark works all the hours god sends even on his days off and holidays texts sent with problems. I do worry about him sometimes but he insists that's the joys of middle management in retail.
He would love to work for himself but hasn't got the capital behind him which makes me so cross about this fella he has the opportunities and mucks it all up.
Mark when he did do the odd bit in between jobs he would always go the extra mile especially for the elder ladies and gentlemen. He didn't drive so then Tracey or I would pick him up laden with tools and ladders and drop him off he would leave his tools somewhere out of their way for the duration of the job and we would pick him up each evening and then all tools when finished.
Neither of our boys heave ever been afraid of hard work but neither has Gorden or myself when needed so they have had good teachers especially Gorden.
Not saying this guys parents aren't hard working they probably are but this generation does seem to think the world owes them a living and when they rub against our generation they get touchy when you point out they are not sticking to the arrangement so are pulling the plug.
Then they start with the whingeing. Please Let me do it and again you fall into the trap so eventually you have to stick to your guns.

I shall carefully get off my soap box now.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2019, 11:39 AM
The trouble is now, everyone feels society owes them something and a lot have the attitude of why should I work??
I used to work, would be out in the pub all night every night, only once lost a days work...if I was off sick my mum would tell me I couldn't go out, her thinking was if I was too sick to go to work I wasn't well enough to go out lol
I think Kazz was due a holiday wasn't she??
Harvey, pleased you are doing o.k and thanks very much for the information...much appreciated
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >