View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jellypop
New Member!
Female 

16-11-2017, 01:54 AM

Why does my dog spin in a circle like this all the time? (Video)

Hi there!

I've had my dog for 3 years now and she's always had this strange habit of going in a circle while lifting her back leg up toward her head. It looks as if she's trying to get an itch or something.

She also shakes her body as if she's shaking water off all the time. I've never seen a dog shake their fur as much as she does.

Also, not sure if it's related, but she had a seizure for the first time a week ago (rushed her to the vet as soon as it happened). Other than that, she's never been sick.

Anyway, here's the video. She does the spin at 22 seconds. It usually looks a tad worse than what she's showing here...

Thanks!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Looks as though she is just trying to get the cat to play. If she does it at other times then she is just doing it becasue she likes the reaction she has had from you in the past from possibly laughing and saying something. My collie does it and thinks it is funny. You can see the fun on his face when he does it. Yep we anthropomorphosise about why our dogs do things a lot. bg!!
They also do it as puppies when chasing shadows and trying to catch them. You will also find that when some dogs turn round and look at their rear it is because they have passed wind and find the sensation strange.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Before watching the video I was going to say habit but she's clearly trying to entice the cat to play.
My staffie likes to chase his tail but after a couple of spins I tell him to stop and he does.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2017, 11:24 AM
I cannot remember where I read it or heard it, but there is one theory that dogs will chase their tails for a very reason - it is inherited from their wolf ancestors as a kind of wolfie workout for keeping supple! Wolves have been observed in the wild displaying tail chasing activities and the theory goes it is to keep them supple and flexible in good shape for hunting. We used to have a labrador who when he farted would whip round and glare at his bottom and sometimes growl at it ... it was hysterically funny!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I cannot remember where I read it or heard it, but there is one theory that dogs will chase their tails for a very reason - it is inherited from their wolf ancestors as a kind of wolfie workout for keeping supple! Wolves have been observed in the wild displaying tail chasing activities and the theory goes it is to keep them supple and flexible in good shape for hunting. We used to have a labrador who when he farted would whip round and glare at his bottom and sometimes growl at it ... it was hysterically funny!
Lol my Boxer used to get up and walk away from his farts.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Chuckle.
Jellypop
New Member!
Female 

17-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone!

She's done this spinning thing since the very first day I adopted her (3 yrs ago) and I've never given her any kind of attention when she does it, so I don't think that's it. Also, I've only had my cat for 6 months...

She's not lifting her back leg toward her head in the video I posted, but she usually does. It looks as if she's trying to get an itch while doing a spin, but her leg only makes it halfway to her head/ears before she places it back down on the ground. It's so odd. I always assumed it was just one of her quirks, but that seizure she had recently made me wonder if it was actually something to be concerned about.

I adopted her when she was 6 months old. Could it be that she just learned this behavior from someone else and she just never unlearned it?

If it makes any difference, I got her off of craigslist and the person I got her from told me she had been abandoned & abused by someone they know.
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-12-2017, 01:51 AM
I don't think it is particularly remarkable; unless she does it all day.