Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2011, 01:52 AM

Nose

Willow is entered in her first show in September, its just for fun and to see if she enjoys it.

But if she walks anywhere new, her nose is firmly glued to the ground. OK, yes this is a characteristic of the breed, and I do expect all the other springers to be doing some ground sniffing, but can I teach her to be looking up and out at where she is headed?

I have managed to teach her to look up at me while walking, but this comes with bouncing (for the treats).

Do they let us in to sniff the grass before judging, or will the judge just expect a certain amount of head-stuck-to-ground dogs in a puppy class?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 06:31 AM
You need to teach her to "stand" - are there no ringcraft classes near you? Google - teaching a dog to stand for breed shows & you should come up with se links. Im on the mobile at minute & very limited in what i can do

Here you go - http://m.wikihow.com/Train-Your-Dog-for-a-Dog-Show

Goid luck for Sept!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 08:19 AM
id teach her to stand also. sometimes they can go in the ring for a sniff, it depends when you are in the ring, what time judging starts and if anything else is in before you.

someone i know rubs a bit of lavender oil under their chin so they cant smell whats on the floor.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
id teach her to stand also. sometimes they can go in the ring for a sniff, it depends when you are in the ring, what time judging starts and if anything else is in before you.

someone i know rubs a bit of lavender oil under their chin so they cant smell whats on the floor.
Does that actually work?

I had a difficulty with Louie at the fun dog show last Monday - I got a hotdog and all was good of course he won't stand but I can get him to go backwards which makes him stand..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Some people use Vicks too, I just prefer to use training
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 04:02 PM
If she is in puppy the judge won't expect perfect behaviour.

You need to find a way of getting her attention with out it making her bounce.

Some people start with a sqeeky toy in their pocket and you just pat your pocket if she looks like she is going down.

Sqeeky toys are ok to use if you are walking by yourself but be careful not to use if it will distract an other dog when you are all walking or standing.

Most important is that at her first show she has fun.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
If she is in puppy the judge won't expect perfect behaviour.

You need to find a way of getting her attention with out it making her bounce.
Errr, SPRINGER spaniel here. She can do attention without bounce, it just comes with a sit. The stand usually comes with a lunge for my hand/knee/passing dog, so I think thats what we'll be putting some work into.

She's a bitch, in the first bitch class (minor puppy), so I'm guessing there may be a short break after Working Dog (or not, depending on the judge I guess), but a quick sniff around would take the edge off.

Do they do Best Dog after all the dogs have shown, or wait until after all bitches and dogs?

Ummm. I can think of several ways this could go pear-shaped, but its certainly worth giving it a go in training to see what happens - thanks.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 10:30 PM
which show is it hun might be able to give you show idea of which classes will be first. Usually they start with veteran (if there is one) then straight on to puppy, Workign classes are usually done after open class.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Its like everything you do with your dogs, the training and work needs to be put in.

Dogs are usually judged first including best dog. There is often a break for the judge but that will be down to the judge on the day.
As is said sometimes the veteran class is the first class followed by MP sometimes they do veteran class last. The schedule should give you a clue to the order of judging but won't usually let you know if there will be a break.

When I judge I don't expect a minor puppy to be perfect and certainly prefer to see a little character than a perfect robot. So long as the dog can be assessed don't get too hung up on perfect behaviour. The training and will be ongoing just ENJOY.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Its like everything you do with your dogs, the training and work needs to be put in.

Dogs are usually judged first including best dog. There is often a break for the judge but that will be down to the judge on the day.
When I judge I don't expect a minor puppy to be perfect and certainly prefer to see a little character than a perfect robot. So long as the dog can be assessed don't get too hung up on perfect behaviour. The training and will be ongoing just ENJOY.
I'm still working on retrieving a tennis ball! That's something I didn't expect, she's just not fussed about fetching things, and she's beginning to get Soso's attitude of 'you threw it, you can go get it' I did think that gundogs would have an inbuilt fetch instinct, but everydog's an individual I suppose.

Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
which show is it hun might be able to give you show idea of which classes will be first. Usually they start with veteran (if there is one) then straight on to puppy, Workign classes are usually done after open class.
Its the WSSCSW 25th Sept show. Only Welsh springers, which is why I know some bouncing will be accepted/expected . I'd really be satisfied if Willow manages to walk half a circuit decently, and doesn't leave muddy pawprints on the judge.

The schedule starts with minor puppy dog, and goes through basically by age (with special + working tagged on at the end), then starts with minor puppy bitch. Judging starts at 10:30am, so I'm hoping a break for lunch would let Willow sniff around and get bored of the ring and spectators.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >