Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 09:04 AM

ducks

i would be really greatfull if anyone could give me some info on how to keep ducks.

we've always talked about owning ducks and now we've moved to the country with a lovely garden we're even more interested.

any info would be great.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

19-09-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't know myself but JackieW might be able to help I'm sure she'll be along shortly!

This thread caught my eye cos we had some ducks in the garden yesterday Rocky couldn't see them but their 'quacks' were freaking him out
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 09:37 AM
hi molly

soz i can,t help you as i keep parrots and chickens
but i will try to find some info out for you
also i think a couple of other members on here have ducks,they may be able to help
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Thats nice keeping ducks,I love ducks,don't really know how to look after them though,know they need a pond wonder if you clip their wings like chickens so they don't fly off,we use to have wild ducks visit our pond in one of our other houses.Just see them on the river now when out on the boat.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 11:09 AM
zantababy we have chickens and don,t clip there wings
they wander all over our garden and have never once tried to fly off
they seem quite content to stay on the ground
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 12:14 PM
What would you like to know?

Is it food, place to keep them, how to protect them, etc?

Not an expert but will help what I can
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Just thought would you need to keep them in at night away from foxes,I worked with someone once who kept chickens, geese,ducks etc.,and she always use tp put them away at night.JackieW thats good about your chickens only mentioned clipping of wings because my mum and dad kept chickens and he always clipped their wings as did my grandad,maybe its an old fashioned thing.
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by amts
What would you like to know?

Is it food, place to keep them, how to protect them, etc?

Not an expert but will help what I can
hi amts
it's everything really what should they be living in? how to protect them. what their living space be? do they have to have some where to swim?
anything you can tell me would be good
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Read your reply to Jackie about clipping and must say you cant excatly compare ducks with chickens

Although ducks seem to stay close to their food and lake/pond/bathtub/whatever you will give them to enjoy themself in I think I would think twice about how I would feel/react if I had ducks that suddenly decided not to stay.

If you dont have "natural water" on your property, it is posible to buy like "ponds" to install and to my knowledge the ducks are just as happy with them as a real one.

To protect them against foxes, dogs, weird ppl, etc at night, I suggest you lock them up depending on where you live. They must always, also if inside at night, have acces to water and food though.

During the day it all depends on where you live, the wildlife there, what you will accept and also neighbours, roads, etc. It might be nessecary to "fence them up" and if so I suggest you look for the right fence. Not sure what you are able to buy in the UK but I can show you what we use here if you want to and you have to chose this?

They will eat a lot of diff things and you should imo buy food that are ment for ducks and allow them acces to grass, straw, fruit and vegtables left overs Also if you get the "right kind" of ducks they will eat the snails you might have in your garden that destroys your precios vegatables

Hmm..... what else is there to say :smt017
Not sure really, but ask if I can be at any help. Dont have ducks myself (yet) but know a few that keeps them.

Also Nat on here has some - for now
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Also Nat on here has some-for now
Yes and there staying put for now

Hi Molly sorry I wasnt on yesterday so only just got your pm

We have a small lake with two small islands on it so at night the ducks can sleep on there and build there nests for ducklings, we also keep a goose which stays all year around as she doesnt know how to fly. The ducks come and go as they please all year around, we have sometimes around 50 ducks here so we dont actually need to take care of them so to speak as they are safe on the islands at night, the only thing we do is feed them on corn, left overs and bread. And they also feed themselves on bugs in the water and pond weed.
If you are thinking of getting ducks I would have some sort of little pond as they like to keep clean by washing themselves and maybe keep less than 5 so it isnt too much and they keep each other company. Also some sort of night shelter where they can be locked in foxes will do all they can to get to ducks so it has to be secure, you can buy pens with huts attached so they can come and go as they please yet are safe from predators, also if your keeping them free in your garden there is laso cats to think about too, so a pen is a good option as they have a night time bit for them to go in so you can put hay in for the winter. And they do like quite abit of space with a grassed area as they like to eat it.
Also have you thought about the sex of ducks you want to keep? as you will have babies hatching and you will be over run by them if your not careful as they often lay about 8 eggs. So your 3 ducks could end up being 50 quite easily
Im not sure about clipping there wings but if you want them as pets it might be best, I know you can clip geese but im not sure about ducks so it might be best checking with your local vet. If you cant clip them you have to buy some sort of fenced in area so they dont fly off.

Think I have covered everything and I hope its of some use, if you want to ask me anything else please feel free too
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >