Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sibelover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2006, 06:14 PM

our husky wont eat!!!

hi
we have an 11month old sibe that is refusing to eat she has always been a "faddy" eater but lately she got worse. we have her on iams and she isn't eating it at all we never feed her tip bits and exercise her regular she must be starving
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi Sibelover when you say won't eat what period of time are we talking about? I have never know a dog starve it's self to death and in general the best course of action is to put the food down/remove after 20 mins/feed nothing until the next meal.

Chopping and changing a dogs food is not a good idea and it can make them fussy, having said that Iams would not be my first choice of food for a number of reasons including the number of additives it contains . I would go for something like Burns/Arden Grange/ Naturediet (all have sites on the web).

Bear in mind dogs when eating don't go by taste but by smell/texture/ then taste it can help to add a little something that is strong smelling like grated cheese or sardines to the food and rub it in well so all the food smells of it .

Added just a thought has she just had a season..or maybe is due her first..? That can affect eating. If there is any big change in a dogs habits it is always a good idea to get a vet check too.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I usually have some B Sorb in & give it to any dog that isn't eating & doesn't have any veterinary problems I've also been advised by my vet to give to a post operative dog to keep their energy level up & in his words"keep them going until they start eating"

i used to have a BC who ate once a week sometimes as a puppy & a few doses of B Sorb & he would start eating again. It is all natural ingredients BTW
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi sibelover my sibe mishka wouldnt eat properly at about 11 months old also , very picky at that time i remember , shed had her 1st season at 6 mnths, so couldnt have been that ,but she started to get her apetite back after a few weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!If your sibe pup wont eat anything at all, maybe she needs to be checked by your vet as a precaution
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 09:26 PM
If you are sure she has nothing wrong health wise...

She may just hate Iams and is now putting up her final refusal in eating it I know alot of people say don't change the food it will eat rather than starve but maybe I am a softy but I hate insisting they must eat a particular food I chose for them, even if they hate it, cuz I want them to love their food. I chose it best I can to make sure it the the healthiest I can find and to an extent I let them tell me alot to by their reaction to it. I feed both my dogs a raw diet now because they have always been so enthusiastic anytime they ever got anything raw so I knew they would love it and they are two very happy dogs with their food and it makes me happy.

Even though most dogs would chose it each and every time! You might not ever want to feed raw cuz it isn't everybodies choice, but you might want to look into a food that is not only healthy but pleasing to the dogs also.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2006, 10:12 AM
My eldest malamute was terrible for not eating and being fussy, I had him checked out by the vet who gave him the all clear, and said I should not give in with him, he is trying it on with me, some dogs when coming into early teens use the food as some form of lever to get what they want, its the only thing they have control of, to eat or not, Bailey my fussy eater went a full week without eating I was worried to death, and when he did eat finally he only ate enough to keep him going a bit longer. I eventually had enough and changed him over to the raw diet, he is now 5 years old and has not once missed a meal, I personally do not like Iams and dont think its one of the better foods to use, if you are giving a dry feed I would recommend maybe royal Canin. this you can put in micro for a few minutes with a little water added and the smell is very enticing. My first port of call would be the vets to make sure there is no medical reason why your dog is off its food.

Mo