Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shih_Tzu_Lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Vets; Your Opinion :)

Heyaah
I had Romeo to the vets the other day and it cost us £25 for a 10 minute session and then £30 for a little tube of cream, ( 3 cm ) to be exact.
Who think that it costs way too much to go to the vets now?
Its not that i mind but we do anything for Romeo and i feel sorry for those owners that cant afford the vets for their ill pets.
Do you have any shocking stories?
Any tales of how you have been over charged?

I would love to know
Shih_Tzu_Lover
xx
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Only when I took Frankie and Phoebe for their second vacc. I told the Vet that I didn't think Frankie could have his vacc, as Frankie had been sick that morning. She suggested she have a look at him (which consisted of sticking a thermometer up his read - even though I told her he was fine in himself and that I'd taken him temp and he was fine). She said to bring him back for the vacc in two days to be on the safe side. When I went to make the appointment, the Receptionist asked for about £17ish. I asked what for as the vaccs are paid for up front on the first vacc. She said that I'd been charged a half-consultation fee for the Vet checking Frankie (sticking a thermometer up his rear). I was not a happy bunny but what can you do????????
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
You can tell them that you won't pay it as they performed something you didn't request...

Vets charge FAR too much...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Shih_Tzu_Lover View Post
Heyaah
I had Romeo to the vets the other day and it cost us £25 for a 10 minute session and then £30 for a little tube of cream, ( 3 cm ) to be exact.
xx
But you`re not paying by the minute - you`re paying for a consultation with someone with years of study (longer than a human doctor, I believe). I`m sure if the consultation had taken longer, you would still have paid £25 consultation fee, which is pretty reasonable.
If there was a big mark-up on the medicine, why not query it? You can often get generic treatments for less.
I don`t defend vets, as a rule - I `ve met good, bad and indifferent ones. But your dog`s health is priceless IMO.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 05:42 PM
If you think vet fees are bad try getting a lawyer to do anything . I recently had the misfortune to use a lawyer and it was a total rip off from start to finish .
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 06:28 PM
One of the head VNs was talking about that at the puppy party last week. He said that it's so expensive because the drugs themselves are so expensive, and at the end of the day they are a business and need to make a profit. Still a bloody rip off half the time though!!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 06:45 PM
one word 'frontline' total rip off from the vets.

Altho when she was bad twice from taking worming tablets they charged me £48 each time as they thought it was an upset tummy. Until i realised that it was the wormer . It really bugs me as you want to keep your dog in tip top shape but its sooo expensive to go to the vets , even if its something small
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 07:10 PM
A trip to the vet's is always horribly expensive, but when you look at the cost of private human medical treatment it seems more reasonable.
So far we've been lucky with vets. They may charge but at least they're there when we need them. I think its a similar problem to the NHS. They can do more but it costs. I suppose that's why insurance is so expensive too
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Ours charge £20 consult now and whatever the ''meds'' cost, but then if we had to pay to see a Doctor it would be costly.
Vets train for much longer than Doctors, although I am not saying they always get it right first time, but then animals can not talk, I have to say I don't really think about it as thier health comes first for me.
But then I sympathise with those that are working but maybe don;t have a huge wage, but still love thier animals as much as i do and have to find a big amount to pay out.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Well I must be lucky Our vet is a really nice guy. When we had Jake my Boxer, his injections were costing me £60 a month. I had a look on the net to see if I could get them cheaper and my vet was only charging me the price he had to pay for them anyway.
He charges £20 for a consult and if you need to go back then you don't pay, only for meds.
When we had to have our Jake pts he didn't even charge for the anaesthetic we were only billed for the cremation and the receptionist told us to bring any unused meds back, and were given a refund.

In my opinion, vets train damn hard, I'm lucky we have a really nice vet. I have insurance now for my two. Surely if your on a low wage, as we are, this is the way to go. I know you dont always have the cash up front but I'm sure most people find it from somewhere don't they?

Elaine xxx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >