Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2013, 02:57 PM

Dog Insurance

Hi everyone,
I have just had my dog's insurance renewal through from More Than, who I've been with for the past 3 years. This year the monthly cover has gone up to £23.82 from £13.15and I'm not a happy owner . I have spoken to them and there is no leeway on this at all, so I wondered if any of you can suggest another company who is a little more reasonable. I really only want accident and illness cover but they all seem to have the extra's like holiday cancellation, kennel fees if I go into hospital etc. etc., (which I don't want but are usually an integral part and cannot be removed). Hope you folks can help me with this.
cadac21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Are you looking for a 'for life' policy or an annual one?

Personally I recommend the for life policies.

Does your dog have any pre exisiting illness that won't be covered if you move companies?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-05-2013, 03:56 PM
I have changed to Vetsmedicover this year, their quote is less than half what I was paying, both my older girlies are 8 this year and the premium will not change either, good cover and they were very very helpful and answered all my questions. A few people on here have been with them for a while and they will pay the vets direct. Not heard a bad word about them as yet.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by cadac21 View Post
Are you looking for a 'for life' policy or an annual one?

Personally I recommend the for life policies.

Does your dog have any pre exisiting illness that won't be covered if you move companies?
Yes, I prefer the "for life" policy, and she has no pre existing illness. Thanx for your response.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I have changed to Vetsmedicover this year, their quote is less than half what I was paying, both my older girlies are 8 this year and the premium will not change either, good cover and they were very very helpful and answered all my questions. A few people on here have been with them for a while and they will pay the vets direct. Not heard a bad word about them as yet.
Thanx for your reply, I've not heard of this company but will check them out on the internet.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I have just looked at them on their website and their insurance for dogs is from £28 a month. Goodness knows what you were paying before, but that is £5 a month more than More Than, which is what I was trying to avoid.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2013, 04:44 PM
If you are happy with More Than ( apart from their price hike) go on their website and get a quote for your dog. I did this and it came out lower than I'd paid the previous year.
Don't renew your existing policy, buy the new one online. Good too that your dog has no existing conditions as they wouldn't be covered with a new policy. Worth a try.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-05-2013, 04:48 PM
You get £10,000 per year cover they pay vets direct are very good to deal with and quick payers my vets and the vet college are always happy to deal direct with them.

I think Direct Line or Virgin or it may be both allow you to tailor your policy so you can leave the kenneling or straying etc., out if you want which brings the policy premium down.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Argos is quite cheap, and the one I had before VetsMedicover was Protect Your Bubble.com, also M&S used to be good, they have all got greedy though and really bumped their premiums up
I was quoted £56 per month per dog by them this year though, so £28 a month for the cover they offer was too good to miss
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Argos is quite cheap, and the one I had before VetsMedicover was Protect Your Bubble.com, also M&S used to be good, they have all got greedy though and really bumped their premiums up
I was quoted £56 per month per dog by them this year though, so £28 a month for the cover they offer was too good to miss
I quite understand the reason you've changed but I have had a couple more suggestions, which I will try out and thank you for your help x