View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gollysdelight
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2011, 09:14 PM

How do i get my 10 wk old staff to walk on a lead?

i have a 10 week old blue staff and he wont walk on his lead i have tried bribing him with treats but to no avail please help as i am at a loss. i also have a 11 month old jack russell bitch which i thought he might follow and pick up some ideas but no he just sits down or drags his back legs
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi Gollysdelight,
Firstly welcome to Dogsey My last dog wasn't keen to walk when I first put her lead on. I sorted this by buying a 'house line' (an indoor lead with no loop on the end to get caught on furniture etc) and let her drag it around the house. I played games with her while she had it on so it was 'fun'. Then I'd pick up the lead and just follow her around the house from room to room. That then progressed out into the garden and she then seemed to accept her lead with no problem. Hopefully it will be that easy for you I now have two 10month old pups and I put leads on them from the word go so that it didn't become an issue. I think some dogs find the pressure on the collar a little off-putting. I would advice not to ever pull your puppy towards you as that will just make matters worse.
Good luck and I'm sure someone will be along soon with more suggestions, but this one worked for me. Keep us informed as to how you get on.
gollysdelight
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2011, 09:55 PM
thankyou for your comment i shall try this and see if it works
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
I did similar to Jenny with our last pup. I put a light lead on in the garden and just got pup to follow my hand with treats in. Eventually picked up the lead but continued with feeding treats for walking with me.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Have you tried just around the house/garden first?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 11:25 PM
My little pup is 11 weeks on Friday. I prefer harnesses to collars so I first got her used to wearing that without the lead and for the past week she has had a loose lead attached for her few minutes walk a day. First few times we let her decide what to do and were to go, first of all just sitting on a bench and letting her figure out that she can walk about rather than being carried and we have now started to guide her a little by encouraging her to go in the direction we want. She did five minutes yesterday and today in a straight line and in the direction we wanted - RESULT!!

Don't expect too much too soon and give her a bit of a chance to realise that the lead is a good thing.

One thing to remember. Rule of thumb is five minutes lead walk per month of life so don't be tempted to overdo it
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2011, 08:19 AM
with puppies you have to make everything a game or fun and enjoyable until at least they get used to it. Make sure you are using a lightweight fabric/nylon collar and lead. Just leave the lead loose and play with your pup and give him lots of fuss and treats. As he gets used to it you can try picking up the lead and just wandering around the house encouraging him with a fun sounding happy voice,giving him plenty of praise and treats. You can then try in the garden and get him used to being outside with it on and then start to venture out. Just practice 10 mins in a go and when he has had enough take it off and leave him a bit, then try again a bit later.

If you get down to their level, things are all huge, noisy and very scary looking! Get him used to everything outside by carrying him and letting him sniff and look at things until he feels more confident.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Once he is happy to wear the lead try and get straight into the habit of them following you (rather than just going anywhere he wants) otherwise your pup might start to believe he has a very obedient, lead trained human!
gollysdelight
New Member!
Female 

08-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Thankyou all for your very encouraging ideas I did put a lead on Taz and just left him to it for a few minutes without holding onto him but all he wanted to do was lay there barking at it and chewing the lead so not sure if that a good idea but I will try giving him treats again and encouraging him to walk when we take our other dog Sally out and see if that does the trick. Once again thankyou all for your advice its much appreciated karen
gollysdelight
New Member!
Female 

08-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I have kirsty but all Taz does is just lay or sit there and when I try to encourage him to walk all he does is drag his back legs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >