Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-07-2006, 03:35 PM

Thunderstorms and behaviour

Its interesting this afternoon to observe how my pets react to the violent electrical storms in this area, which I rather enjoy watching.
The middle aged cat shows no interest whatever in spite of the lightening flashes and crashes of thunder close by. She just lays on the rug and continues with her wash.
The 4 year old recently rescued collie, who is normally quite highly strung, seems just a little uneasy and looks at me from time to time for some indication on how to behave. I deliberatley do not react in any way and I suspect because of this she remains calm throughout.
Perhaps this points to a principle in animal behaviour management - If the pack leader shows no fear there is nothing to worry about.
Any other views ?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Our cats don't like it, the dogs don't seem bothered.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Paul yes it is important not to show fear because dogs do pick up on it.

Having had dogs that were fearful of thunder in the past I was determined to make sure Amy would not be, so when she was small whenever if thundered I behaved in an excited way and rushed into the garden to play...

The result was a dog that shot out of the dog door into the garden at the slightest hint of thunder expecting a game and me getting very wet persuading her to come back in the house

Now she is an old lady she can't hear it at all..
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 03:56 PM
I love thunder storms too

Both my GSD and my collie show no fear, or even interest. I think my GSD taught my collie not to worry. When we first had thunder I wondered whether the collie would be scared, as I have known loads of collies to be frightened of such things. Moss watched mine and Flame's reaction, and saw we didn't care, so settled down to sleep again
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Hollie isn't bothered by storms, but then neither am I. Saying that though, there was a very very loud thunder crack that made me jump - Hollie then barked. Otherwise, she just lay by my feet or in her bed.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-07-2006, 03:57 PM
my 2 find it all very exciting and bark at the bangs!!!!
My old girl Tawney use to bark at fireworks as well, none of them has ever shown any fear or sign that it bothers them, they just tell the noise to shut up
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 06:06 PM
my two will sit watching a thunder storm they are mesmerised by the sounds and colours
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 06:14 PM
In all my years of owning dogs I have been very lucky that only one of mine was frightened of fireworks (spent the week every night behind the sofa until the all clear was given) but he wasn't afraid of thunder. Until a few months ago Jenna (Afghan) was totally unphased by thunder but suddenly she has become frightened, she pants and just wants to be near someone. Nothing different has happened during a storm so I am puzzled as to why she has become like this.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Sue L
In all my years of owning dogs I have been very lucky that only one of mine was frightened of fireworks (spent the week every night behind the sofa until the all clear was given) but he wasn't afraid of thunder. Until a few months ago Jenna (Afghan) was totally unphased by thunder but suddenly she has become frightened, she pants and just wants to be near someone. Nothing different has happened during a storm so I am puzzled as to why she has become like this.
Hi sue how old is Jenna is she quite old ..as I said above I taught Amy not to fear thunder and she was fine for about 12 years, then she went through a short period of being afraid of thunder and a few other familiar noises .I came to the conclusion this was because of her age, she was actually hearing familiar sounds differently so they then became strange and unfamiliar . Now she doesn't hear a lot of things at all including my voice but she isn't deaf,she can only hear things of a certain pitch . I attract her attention by clapping .
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 07:37 PM
My old Shiba, Mishu (long passed) used to be so terrified she would shake and be sick when there was a thunderstorm. Bumble (also passed) was also a shaker.
Of the current gang, Len ignores it (thank Gawd), but Roxy tries to get in the smallest space possible to hide. As for Mya, I've not had her long enough to see.

I, myself, have no fear of thunderstorms. In fact, like you Paul, I find them fascinating.

I wish I could pass my lack of fear onto poor old Roxy..... who also has a fear of fireworks, poor lamb
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >