Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2005, 09:09 AM

Bissell Carpet Shampoo

Hi all,

I've just bought a Bissell Quickwash carpet cleaner but feel the cost of the shampoo for it is pretty extortionate! It seems to be much more expensive than other carpet shampoos. Has anyone any recommendations for suitable alternative shampoos to use with this machine please? :smt100
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Hello Annie I think they are all pretty expensive, in the days pre Dogweb when I cleaned carpets I used to hire a machine from Homebase and looked around for cheaper shampoos, but those I found required that you used more so it was no cheaper in the long run. Maybe someone else can help you
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Hi Minihaha and thanks for replying. I have used Vax shampoo in the past which I thought was much cheaper. The Bissell one of around the same size seems to be double the price. The problem with this Quickwash is that it has a very small water container but seems to require two large capfulls of shampoo!! I did want a much smaller, more lightweight machine though as my old Vax is such hard work, the carpets have to be pretty dire before I'll tackle them!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2005, 09:39 AM
my bfs parents have a carpet shampooer, and i think it uses somethin called pet vax, cud be wrong but it works really well
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Hi Annie...We used to use carpet cleaners when we valeted cars..TBH the carpet cleaners are all stupidly expensive so we started to use a bioligical washing LIQUID(not powder)...diluted down did a fantastic job of all carpets and washable upholstery,smells great too. I would never buy carpet shampoo again now And I use this method all round the house.
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Jenny, Thanks for that - I think Bissell do one as well (of course even more expensive!!).

Thanks Mand P - that sounds like a great idea and as my carpets are quite old anyway, worth trying! Any idea of the proportion to use, ie the same, less or more than the normal carpet shampoo amount?
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2005, 09:50 AM
I would use a touch more, only for the fact that carpet shampoo froths up and wash liq doesn't...say just add another cap full and test the area to see...or use as much as you would for a washing load
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Annie18
Hi Minihaha and thanks for replying. I have used Vax shampoo in the past which I thought was much cheaper. The Bissell one of around the same size seems to be double the price. The problem with this Quickwash is that it has a very small water container but seems to require two large capfulls of shampoo!! I did want a much smaller, more lightweight machine though as my old Vax is such hard work, the carpets have to be pretty dire before I'll tackle them!
Annie the other thing to watch is that some machines require a defoaming agent..some shampoos do not have this in so take care to get the right one for your shampooer or your house will be full of bubbles
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Annie the other thing to watch is that some machines require a defoaming agent..some shampoos do not have this in so take care to get the right one for your shampooer or your house will be full of bubbles
What a wonderful thought! Certainly liven up a very mundane task :smt043 :smt043
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by mand p
I would use a touch more, only for the fact that carpet shampoo froths up and wash liq doesn't...say just add another cap full and test the area to see...or use as much as you would for a washing load
Thanks Mand P - very useful advice. :smt038