View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 01:41 PM
All this weight loss is weird when they main side effect of steroids is weight GAIN. The vets should tell you of the increased thirst and hunger, thats what assists the weight gain, I think people feed them more because they think they are hungry.

Carole.
Medrone is virtually identical to Prednisilone, in fact I think it is the same, its correct name is "Methylprednisolone" the side effects are identical too. The injectable form of prednisilone is called "Depo-Medrone"
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Carole.
Medrone is virtually identical to Prednisilone, in fact I think it is the same, its correct name is "Methylprednisolone" the side effects are identical too. The injectable form of prednisilone is called "Depo-Medrone"
Yep the same and the side effects are supposed to be the same The side effects were not as bad on the Medrone for some reason. The increased thirst was not there when on the Medrone V tablets.

Maybe the steroid dosage in Medrone V is smaller or something. I have no idea
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Yep the same and the side effects are supposed to be the same The side effects were not as bad on the Medrone for some reason. The increased thirst was not there when on the Medrone V tablets.

Maybe the steroid dosage in Medrone V is smaller or something. I have no idea
LOL!! Nor me! Tarn was put on PLT, the "P" bit is prednisilone, he reacted within 24hrs, almost unconscious and couldnt move, Prednisilone was a last resort, but the reaction was a worry, nothing!!!! he's fine on them! Thats Dogs!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Finn has had a few courses prednisolone in the past. It made him very thirsty and he was constantly peeing. He could not go more than an hour without peeing. He did seem to lose a lot of weight while on them too.

The last time he had to have a course of steroids the vet prescribed Medrone which seemed to suit him much better. They do work out more expensive but it was definitely worth it for Finn as he hated having peeing accidents indoors
Same here! Total difference with the Medrone. No lethargy, no excessive drinking, still hungry, no weight loss, I think you might do well to ask your vet about Medrone -v instead of the Preds, and the Prednisolone never even did the job properly for my dog, whereas the Medrone's do. I strongly suspect it is the Preds because I had many years of this with my dog, and they CAN make them aggressive with it!
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I was put on a weeks course in November
The side effects I experienced weren't nice and I could talk about them and how I was feeling.

It does say in humans that it can cause depression...
So am not surprised if dogs can also get depressed.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Alfie is starting on this med today (as well as another) to help manage his Lymphoma symptoms,I have been told by the vet possible side effects are increased thirst & hunger and possible blood in his urine.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
Good to know that other dogs have lost weight as well as I thought there may be something else wrong with him.
I am waiting for the vets to call sometime today with the results of his urine test. The good news is the screaming when he does a poo has stoped. But he is so not feeling well on the meds they have given. He is aslo pooing loads he normaly does 2 poos a day but now with do about 5 they are all really big ones as well.

Dawn I did wonder about the weight loss as everying I googled said that it can cause dogs to gain weight not lose. But in a week he has got very ribby.

I will ask about the injectable steroids if they want to give him more but at the moment I really don't know what they will say.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 01:35 PM
My whippet was put on prednisolone for a very seious illness when she was only 2 . It was not even certain if she would survive , she did survive and lived to be 15 . So although prednisolone does have side effects some of which can be quite bad I would have no hesitation in using it again if that was the drug of choice . It is a life saver too
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 01:47 PM
my boy yoda was recently given the injectable form (not sure what they call it) but i think it was the same- it was to stop him vomiting as he does that if given orally-but he dropped 2kg in two days! even though the original cause had eased. ive told my vet i am not happy for that particular drug to be used on him again but as fernsmum says-it can also benefit your dog hugely-it all depends whether the bad side effects outweigh the original condition?
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I have spoken to the vet today and now they think anal gland removal is the way to go.
So he will be haveing it done arounf the enbd of the month he has to have some more antibiotics to make sure there is no infection and then we have to wait for the vet that is the most experinced at anal gland removal.

I just hope this is the end of it as he has been through enough.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >