Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2009, 07:31 AM

Predniselone side effects

My dog has been given thses along with some oxycare antibiotics I have googled and read that the Predniselone can cause increased thirst hunger and urination. Since starting these he has all these symptoms but he is also not right in himself he looks like he has lost a bit of weight and just has not got the bounce in him.

Would it be the tablets causing him to not feel right.
I am phoniong the vets tomorrow anyway but thought you people may have experince of this.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 07:55 AM
I have a dog on Prednisilone and he is great on them. He is more hungry as you say, but he is not unwell in himself at all. I think the side effects from Preds are more like sickness etc.. The Oxycare is that "Oxytetracycline?" if so I think you have to avoid ALL dairy products with that drug, could that be a possibility?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 08:35 AM
I have had 3 dogs that have had to have prednisolone at sometime or other and apart from the increased thirst and hunger they also seemed to get very down and depressed, it really did not suit them at all.
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2009, 08:42 AM
My GSD was on prednisolone a few years ago and he was the same, something just wasn't right. I watched him closely for a couple of days and noticed that he wasn't weeing as often as he should and he appeared reluctant when he did.

The vets had to catherise him as his bladder was full and when they did, they found blood. The conclusion was that the pred was causing bleeding in his kidneys and the only place for the blood to go was his bladder and this was causing the problem. He was fine once we stopped the pred.

Hope he gets better soon and if you think he's not right, don't let the Vet tell you otherwise, no one knows your dog like you do. Good luck.

Jo
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Jo_W View Post
My GSD was on prednisolone a few years ago and he was the same, something just wasn't right. I watched him closely for a couple of days and noticed that he wasn't weeing as often as he should and he appeared reluctant when he did.

The vets had to catherise him as his bladder was full and when they did, they found blood. The conclusion was that the pred was causing bleeding in his kidneys and the only place for the blood to go was his bladder and this was causing the problem. He was fine once we stopped the pred.

Hope he gets better soon and if you think he's not right, don't let the Vet tell you otherwise, no one knows your dog like you do. Good luck.

Jo
Interestingly my dog was peeing blood too, on PLT which contains Pred, he was put onto antibiotics and was fine, it reoccured soon after the antibiotics had finished,(so had the PLT, he only had them for 36hrs and reacted to them) but a longer course seems to have done the trick as he has been fine now for some time, he is on pred every day. My vets said they thought it was a urine infection, as if it were a side effect of the drugs, anti-biotics would not stop it as it wasnt an infection, only stopping the drug would.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 09:19 AM
my boy yoda was put on prednisolone, he is still supposed to be as his illness is lifelong but soon after stated to taake them he became even more hungry, desperately thirsty(i couldnt leave a bowl of water down or he would drink the lot) and although he was eating twice his normal amount of food, he was still losing weight-it got to the point where he lost 8kg and usually he weighs only 30kg!! as soon as he stopped taking the prednisolone he started to gain weight- i might add though, that my boy has a bad reaction to virtually any mediaction he is put on, every dog reacts differently and yours may not be as bad.
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Interestingly my dog was peeing blood too, on PLT which contains Pred, he was put onto antibiotics and was fine, it reoccured soon after the antibiotics had finished,(so had the PLT, he only had them for 36hrs and reacted to them) but a longer course seems to have done the trick as he has been fine now for some time, he is on pred every day. My vets said they thought it was a urine infection, as if it were a side effect of the drugs, anti-biotics would not stop it as it wasnt an infection, only stopping the drug would.

The same GSD had previously been taking rimadyl for his arthritis and had really bad diarrhoea and was lethargic. The Vet gave him antibiotics for 3 weeks and he was fine but within 3-4 days of stopping them his symptoms returned, he had a couple of more courses but the same thing happened. It was only after stopping the rimadyl that he was ok although by then he had elevated bile acids and had to have a hepathic support diet and the pred (which then caused the problem I mentioned previously). Everything did eventually settle back down and he now has a normal diet but I am certain it was the rimadyl that caused the problem even though he was symptom free when he was on the antibiotics.

With the bladder problem, it did stop once the pred was withdrawn and he has never had another problem since.

My other GSD has also had pred in the past and she had an increased thirst because of it. Due to the extra water she was drinking, she started weeing in the house. Her dosage was decreased to one tablet instead of two a day and she was fine but she only had a short course of them and didn't need them on permanent basis.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Finn has had a few courses prednisolone in the past. It made him very thirsty and he was constantly peeing. He could not go more than an hour without peeing. He did seem to lose a lot of weight while on them too.

The last time he had to have a course of steroids the vet prescribed Medrone which seemed to suit him much better. They do work out more expensive but it was definitely worth it for Finn as he hated having peeing accidents indoors
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 12:29 PM
One of my dogs is on pred permently he just as 1x 7.5mg tab at night, I give it to him at midnight and leave water down but he is ok untill I get up about 6.30, he as gained the weight back he lost whilst on Atopica.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Sadie has been on and off it for a good while now and has lost a LOT of muscle and although looks a lot thinner hasn't really lost more than a few pounds, just her muscle tone is gone. She also seems very quiet and doesn't like to walk very far but then she is getting older too, she's a big dog but still is only 11 so i've no idea if it's the drugs or not.

She's on them for stomach/bowel problems, we still don't know exactly what is wrong but they do help her and atm is only on them for bouts of 8 -12 weeks then has a break 'til she needs them again. She does also drink a lot.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >