Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
henry06
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2008, 08:58 PM

are toads/frogs harmful to dogs?

Henry has just flipped over a toad i think it was and it must have tasted horrible as he was licking his lips lots. Are they poisonous to dogs as a way of protecting themselves?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 05:36 AM
As far as I am aware in england Toads and frogs poison is not harmeful to dogs or cats, I had a cat that regularly brought in frogs by having the whole body in his mouth with it legs dangling out.

However what your dogs would of experienced (if a toad )Is the following (quote from wildlife page)

The skin of the Common Toad is cool, dry and warty to the touch, but it contains a substance which will burn the mouth of any animal, which tries to eat them!

Bet he had a shock. However had you of been abroad then that may be a different matter, as they do have ones that kill.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 06:09 AM
I always thought frogs were ok, but toads were a no-no.

Lennon loves to try and catch frogs, too - well, what dog wouldn't? Such a cool plaything for a dog
henry06
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did do some research on the internet last night as well and it says that dogs tend to be ok after frog and toad poisons in this country as youngstevie says. Some dogs foam at the mouth and can be sick but if not recovered after 24 hours take to the vets.
After a few minutes henry was fine he didnt have it in his mouth long so maybe that helped. Henry wasnt sick so its all ok now.

Thanks again
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2008, 12:36 AM
ugh! I remember when Molly brought in a toad from the garden and promptly dropped it on the kitchen floor! She was foaming at the mouth something awful. I didnt' see her bring it in just heard her 'lip smacking'. when I turned round to look I thought she had rabies!! Took her, and the toad, to the vets - he said it was harmless - and he took the toad home to put in his pond
My old dog Benji used to eat frogs I hated him going out in the garden late at night cos I would hear him munching away and I was afraid to let him in in case he was sick later *urgh*

I think its the 'cane' toad that is harmful but fortunately, I think, we don't have them in this country ?