View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I have horrible memories of my mum soaking/cooking huge stock pans full of the stuff at home for the dogs when i was a child. The dogs always adored it though!

As an adult i have now had trip a couple of times and when cooked well it is actually unbelievably delicious! Szechuan style tripe noodles are one of the tastiest things i have ever eaten. But if you can smell it still it's enough to put you off the entire meal!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Ah, but it would be bleached tripe you are eating, not the green tripe that's fed to dogs. Trust me, Szechuan spices couldn't mask the smell or flavour of this stuff.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Ah, but it would be bleached tripe you are eating, not the green tripe that's fed to dogs. Trust me, Szechuan spices couldn't mask the smell or flavour of this stuff.

True but even the bleached stuff still stinks!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh and some useful facts about it

What exactly is TRIPE?
Tripe is the stomach of ruminating mammals. Ruminating mammals include common cloven-hoofed
herbivores like cattle,sheep,deer,goats and antelope.
Why should I feed my pet TRIPE?
Tripe contains minerals, nutrients, amino acid chains, enzymes and pre-digested plant material that are
all extremely beneficial to the health of your pet. The chewy, rubbery texture of tripe also helps to give
your pet’s jaw a workout, while serving as a carnivore’s natural dental floss.
Green tripe contains nutritionally balanced levels of phosphorous and calcium, is easily digestible
because of its relatively high acidity, serves as a source of two essential fatty acids, and incorporates a
ratio of fat to protein found to be ideal for domestic carnivores. Undigested materials contain valuable
digestive enzymes, fibre for proper water regulation in the large intestine, and bacteria conducive to a
healthy digestive tract.
What is the difference between Green tripe and White tripe?
White tripe is a product that has been cleaned,scalded and bleached for human consumption. It has
almost no nutritional value. Green tripe is “fresh”, it has not undergone any processes that may reduce the
nutritional value. Basically everything that was included in the stomach of the ruminant at the time of
slaughter is what’s included in green tripe.
Sample
Analysis
Moisture
71.37%
Protein 15.82%
Phosphorous
.14%
Calories
756.4 cal/lb
Lactic Acid
Linoleic Acid
2.72%
Linolenic Acid
.37%
Crude fat
11.70%
Ash 1.23%
Calcium .12%
PH 6.12
Bacteria
CFU/G
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 05:25 AM
We used to feed our show dogs that as thier main diet and it kept them in the peak of health.
We would go each week and collect a few paunches bring them home hang them up to check them for nasties like bits of metal etc (you'd be surprised what ends up in cows stomachs) but we would NEVER hose them down as the most valuble vitamins came from the bits and pieces of remnants of food.
We would then slice chunks off them and throw them to each dog to tear up thier own bit the rest we froze in chunks in containers for each days use.
Unfortunatly the frozen tripe I see in pet shops round here has been washed and cleaned before freezing so a lot of the goodness has gone from it.
Sadly now we don't have a handy local slaughterhouse here now and I only have 2 dogs one of which is allergic to tripe
rottalmarotts
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:22 PM
When we started showing dogs we fed raw stinky tripe and then for convenience started to feed an All-in-One. Over the past years I have noticed the longevity of my dogs decrease.Years ago our tripe fed Rotts lived 10-12 years now the average age is below double figures so I have gone back to basics and the raw stinky tripe is back it may not make a difference but it is one factor in the equation that I can control.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4