View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 10:48 AM
The bleached type people eat has little nutrients in it for dogs in comparison to the green type. I've been buying mine frozen from PAH and ran out the other day. They had none there when I went to get more, and said they haven't had it in about two months cos of the F&M outbreak. Yet they are stocking other prizechoice products that contain tripe.

Tripe is what got me started on the road to raw feeding. I was recommended to feed it to Archie to help put a little weight on so gave it as their evening meal. Seeing how much his (and Willow's) condition improved and the fact that they started to eat less and less kibble cos they were holding out for the tripe and loving it so much made me learn more about raw feeding and make the move.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I am lucky that I found Rose, who was determined to find a local source of tripe straight from the animal, so to speak, as it is extremely cheap and hasn't been messed with. It does amuse me sometimes that firms "prepare" dog food so it looks acceptable to the owner, who is never going to eat it!
Lucky again, not only was I able to find out where I could get it but she gave Deccy a small piece when we were up there one day so I didn't have to get a whole tripe then watch him sniff it and walk away (although the local wild animal population would have removed the rest overnight). As he seemed to like it, she then got me one with her next pick-up. She feeds it to her ten labs so she gets through a fair bit as it forms their second meal of the day. Usually she asks if I want one and by the time I get to her place, it's trimmed of excess fat and cut up and bagged ready for me to take away. All for €3.50 and it lasts a couple of weeks.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
I am lucky that I found Rose, who was determined to find a local source of tripe straight from the animal, so to speak, as it is extremely cheap and hasn't been messed with. It does amuse me sometimes that firms "prepare" dog food so it looks acceptable to the owner, who is never going to eat it!
Lucky again, not only was I able to find out where I could get it but she gave Deccy a small piece when we were up there one day so I didn't have to get a whole tripe then watch him sniff it and walk away (although the local wild animal population would have removed the rest overnight). As he seemed to like it, she then got me one with her next pick-up. She feeds it to her ten labs so she gets through a fair bit as it forms their second meal of the day. Usually she asks if I want one and by the time I get to her place, it's trimmed of excess fat and cut up and bagged ready for me to take away. All for €3.50 and it lasts a couple of weeks.
You've got a great and cheap source there! Do you have a big freezer to store it in? I've just a small one between us and the dogs; keep saying am gonna get me a "doggy" freezer to bag some bargains for feeding them, but still haven't got one.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I use the bottom drawer of my own fridge freezer, the tripe is bagged up and sealed. Any that doesn't fit in there goes into my spare fridge to be used first which only contains canned and bottled drinks, no food. Again, it's bagged and sealed.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

20-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Years ago I usedto get it like that Deccy,but nowadays I buy it minced and frozen. Still stinks especially in the warmer weather , but at least I don't have to do all the preparation and my boys just love it. As you say good for putting the weight on.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Sources of many types of dog food are few and far between in rural Ireland, we don't have the "chain" pet stores here, nearest is Jolleys over the border which is a fair hike, so there's not a lot of choice. Plus these days I am also having to consider cost, as I am having to live on €42 a week for food, petfood, vets bills (mercifully low or non-existent) bits and pieces so a whole tripe for €3.50 is excellent value and I am also satisfied that there are no additives or preservatives in it. In fact, the cattle come from the field opposite my house! so I even know the quality of grass they have eaten..... and have probably talked to them on walks .....
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 09:17 AM
A small post scrip..........
The comment about kibble and tripe being digested at different rates was interesting and I had proof of it yesterday. Diva had eaten her breakfast (kibble) first thing, had her tripe at about 1pm, then at 2pm we went out in the car. Nearing our destination (7 miles away) all was quiet in the back and I could suddenly smell tripe.... I pulled over and Diva had regurgitated, but - it was all kibble! (plus a blade of grass). The tripe must have shot through in no time, just leaving juice!
Needless to say she was busy eating it again!
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
can tripe be fed all the time either on its own or mixed with mixer biscuits or does a dog need different meat sources?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
can tripe be fed all the time either on its own or mixed with mixer biscuits or does a dog need different meat sources?
I would say, no it's can't be fed on it's own. Dogs need a variety of meats as well as a little raw bone and organ. (Tripe for the purpose of feeding counts as meat, rather than organ.)

I did used to feed kibble in the morning, chicken wing and tripe for tea and the dogs did fairly well on it. But since changing to totally raw feeding they haven't looked back.

HTH
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
My lot love it too! Not brave enough to get it fresh from the butchers though i buy it frozen and already minced. Still stinks though . . .
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >