Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-02-2011, 02:30 AM

Steri strips ok for dogs?

I think Rocky's opened up his stitches in the middle they looked all healed up nice so thought his buster could come off, then leave him for half an hour and he's made it bleed!

Anyway, just wondering if Steri Strips might work? Just in case I can't get an appt at the vets tomorrow. I've put a large plaster on it for now so he doesn't rub any dirt (off the carpet) into it.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-02-2011, 07:51 AM
I would of thought so.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Azz,you have dirty carpets

I would have thought they would work,you don't have anything to loose by trying them.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Oh Azz, you two are having a right old time of it! I would think you should be able to. They're hard to get off though, it took me days to get them off my little girl and that was with lots and lots of soaking. I had to peel away a teeny bit every day.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:08 AM
I think I would phone the vet to ask. Your main issue here may not be getting the wound back together, but that fact that it's been opened and may have germs in there - so if you use Steri strips or similar to patch it up again, it may heal up with bacteria trapped inside and cause an abcess - or worse, blood poisoning.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-02-2011, 11:27 AM
I used one in the past on Star when she pulled out her stitches but just short term til the vet could see her that afternoon.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:01 PM
hi

how long have the stitches been in by now?

i would use hibiscrub and keep it clean and open to the air.. at this stage a steristrip will not seal the wound together as even to re suture it would have to be debrided first...sounds like it now needs to heal by 'secondary intention'
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I think I would phone the vet to ask. Your main issue here may not be getting the wound back together, but that fact that it's been opened and may have germs in there - so if you use Steri strips or similar to patch it up again, it may heal up with bacteria trapped inside and cause an abcess - or worse, blood poisoning.
Agree with Krlyr on this one.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the posts guys.

It seems better today so have decided to leave it dry, that way I won't be forcing any infection to stay in should any develop.

No more Mr Nice Guy tho - this time the buster collar is staying on until it's beyond healed
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Glad it is looking ok Azz. I absolutely hate those buster collars with a vengence. I think it is about time something else was invented but if I could think of it I would make a fortune

Lots of cuddles to Rocky.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >