View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leelo
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Mu GSD has slimy poo and loses weight if he eats anything other than rmb. I have tried every brand and type of complete food and he is the same with them all - hence I stick to raw meat and bones. I used to share with a lady at the stables who had an butcher near her home who did his own butchering and she shared the massive haul of bones etc with me, but she has left the area quite suddently and I didnt get the chance to ask her where it was. So at the moment I am paying premium prices at the butchers for raw meat etc. Does anyone know of a butchers in the Leeds area that sells wings/neck/lamb ribs etc to the public. The ones I have contacted say I would have to take massive bulk quantities at a time! (I'm talking skip size quantities!). My dogs love most veggies and fruit as well! My youngest staffy bitch cries and runs away from fish heads!!!!!!
Cavlova
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2006, 04:56 PM
I mean the knuckle end off a joint occasionally.

Never cooked bird bones, though yearsw ago, my old boss used to pressure cook chicken and pheasant leftovers inc bones, to make them soft and fed them to her terriers.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Cavlova View Post
I feed my Cavaliers raw tripe and they thrive on it. I couldnt get weight on them with kibbles becasue they just wouldnt eat them with any enthusiasm.

I dont feed them the raw bones for the reasons already discussed, but they get dog biscuits, and occasionally cooked bones to chew on, along with vegetables and fruit if they like it - not all seem to!

I guess I'm not feeding a technically true 'BARF' diet, but it seesm to suit my lot. They all have lovely silky shiny coats and bright eyes and are full of energy, as well as having nicely covered 'frames'.

I have fed it to pregnant bitches and during lactation as well as introducing a little raw tripe into puppies' diets as they wean onto solid food - all with no bad effects, so far.
Hi,

Do you add supplements?
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 08:11 PM
I wouldnt feed cooked bones of any sort including those sold in pet shops, you are more likely to have your dog suffer an injury from cooked bones, I have never had a problem with soft raw bones such as turkey necks etc.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Ive always been led to believe that feeding dogs raw meat is how dogs can get worm infestations. I may be wrong here, i am just saying that this is what many people have told me before.
Of course, there is also the high risk of internal injury when a dog has eaten a raw bone.
Personally i would never feed my dogs raw meat, mine are happily fed on a diet of both kibble and tinned butchers dog food. Georgies coat is extremely shiney and he is 100% fit and healthy so i will continue to do what i am doing.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:01 PM
WOW

i'm really surprised this is still ongoing. Not that i'm complaining as i've learnt soooooo much.

i've never been against raw feeding, more worried about the bones bit, but i've found amp do mince the bones with the meat.

could this now sway me to a raw diet??????

possibly
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:04 PM
i think it's the bacteria bit that concerns me most and the bones.....that's just me though.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:14 PM
I feed raw to both of my dogs, Baku had runny stools on and off when we first got him and Zuki never seemed to put on any weight probably because nine times out of ten she turned her nose up at her complete dry. Switched to raw and Baku has not had runny stools since and Zuki is a healthy size Will admit there are certain things that Zuki will not eat, fruit being the main one but Baku (probably because he was started on it early) wolfs down all fruit and veg and meat, (even sticks ) passes the bones fine no problems and would recommend it to anyone If I get stuck with anything there is always those dogsey members on hand to help (you know who you are pats on the back for you) but to be honest it is really easy when you know what is good for them and whats not. I dont weigh it or anything like that, I am really lucky with Zuki she will not over eat and although Baku would given the chance I just keep an eye on his weight if he looks plump he has smaller meals for a few days and visa versa
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 09:33 AM
could any of the raw feeders do a costing (per week) and a list of suppliers, please.

also amounts and if you need to use suppliments.

only, i'm interested and would like to feed this way but it does seem a bit daunting.

what do you use if you ever have to kennel your dogs?

thanks
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
could any of the raw feeders do a costing (per week) and a list of suppliers, please.

also amounts and if you need to use suppliments.

only, i'm interested and would like to feed this way but it does seem a bit daunting.

what do you use if you ever have to kennel your dogs?

thanks

Hi
I order mine from TPMS
though they only deliver in the Midlands, West country and South Wales.
www.tpms.co.uk
I spend approx £36 per 8 weeks so thats about £4.50 pw if you break it down? Another supplier I know of is Landywoods.
Or you could have a word with a friendly butcher who will give you all the bits they don't sell for a resonable price.
Its all minced with bones. I give garlic powder once a week, and occasionally omega 3 fish oil capsule. Thats for the adults though.
Others will probably give more or less supplements that they can tell you about.

I've never kennelled the dogs but I suppose if I did and they wouldn't feed raw I might use something like naturediet which is what I buy for holidays because I can't fit all their food in 'holiday' freezers

HTH
Page 17 of 20 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 >