Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 03:52 PM

Kennelling while on holiday....?

I just wondered what everyone does with their dogs when they cant take them on holiday with them? Obviously in an ideal world we would just take them with us wherever we were going!

We are going on holiday in a months time and every other holiday we have been on where we cant take the dogs, they have gone to a friend or relative to be looked after. Originally a friend of mine agreed to house sit when i asked her and then proceeded to ASK if she could dog sit too! Well of course i said yes but now at nearly the last minute she has let me down. (it was all arranged just after new year!!!!!!!)

Now that we have two and the pup is still young, and at such late notice, we dont feel like we can ask any other friends or relatives to take on such a responsibility so for the first time ever we are putting them into kennels .

We have checked out the kennels thoroughly and have taken the dogs there to meet the owners and handlers. The kennels are only small and a family run business situated just over the fields from us. As they are so near I will take them up there a few times before we go so they get used to the place and people. I am very confident that they will be well looked after - walked / exercised 3 times a day, fed their own food (we supply it) whenever and however much i say, washed and groomed before we collect them and they get cuddled by the owners daughters too on a regular basis!..... (obviously only the very friendly ones)

Also for those of you who put your dogs into kennels, how much do you expect to pay and what is it for?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Kristina
Also for those of you who put your dogs into kennels, how much do you expect to pay and what is it for?

Free because I work there
Otherwise my kennels charge £7.40 a night for large dogs...another kennels I used to go to charged £10.50

Teagan has been a few times when i've been on holiday, or overnight for a weekend, but she also comes during the day occasionally.

We tend to get mostly the same people coming back with their dogs...of corse we do get new ones aswell.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for that. Well the kennels i am putting them into charge £15 a night (for both dogs together) but others quoted me up to £21 a night!
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 04:10 PM
we pay about £15 per night and that includes their food. we took over some treats for them and gave them to the kennel owners. ours are going back to the same kennels when we go away at the end of july for a week
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 04:40 PM
For 2 dogs at the kennels I work at, the first dog is full price, the 2nd dog is half price (for kennel sharing).
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 06:40 PM
My kennels are wonderful and I and the dogs enjoy the break. They are, however, expensive. Now I have three dogs, to kennel them for 15 days is over £600....... .....but I do trust them totally, and the dogs love it
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 09:42 PM
We send Gels to a kennel about 10 mins away from home in the car. It is run by Patsy Hollins who is quite a well known breeder of Weimaraners and has judged at Crufts too. Its a really good place,they provide everything - even toys - and when we pick her up, she looks in excellent condition and doesn't smell!!I think its about £8/9 per night.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Kristina
I just wondered what everyone does with their dogs when they cant take them on holiday with them? Obviously in an ideal world we would just take them with us wherever we were going!

We are going on holiday in a months time and every other holiday we have been on where we cant take the dogs, they have gone to a friend or relative to be looked after. Originally a friend of mine agreed to house sit when i asked her and then proceeded to ASK if she could dog sit too! Well of course i said yes but now at nearly the last minute she has let me down. (it was all arranged just after new year!!!!!!!)

Now that we have two and the pup is still young, and at such late notice, we dont feel like we can ask any other friends or relatives to take on such a responsibility so for the first time ever we are putting them into kennels .

We have checked out the kennels thoroughly and have taken the dogs there to meet the owners and handlers. The kennels are only small and a family run business situated just over the fields from us. As they are so near I will take them up there a few times before we go so they get used to the place and people. I am very confident that they will be well looked after - walked / exercised 3 times a day, fed their own food (we supply it) whenever and however much i say, washed and groomed before we collect them and they get cuddled by the owners daughters too on a regular basis!..... (obviously only the very friendly ones)

If you go on The Northern Inuit site I have offered my services already. I am looking after Otto for Claudeen on a summer break. I love dogs as long as they are happy with cats. If your happy departing on your hollys from Newcastle your welcome to have your beloved pets looked after by the biggest dog lover in the whole world! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 10:05 PM
The dogs usually stay at home as there's always some one whos not going in my house. Parents go away, me and brother at home and vice versa so very lucky I guess.

Don't think we could afford to kennel them, so it's a good job it's like that!

I'm always nervous of kennels after having work experience at a truly terrible one. I know most of them are excellent, but this one just sticks in my mind.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Luz
If you go on The Northern Inuit site I have offered my services already. I am looking after Otto for Claudeen on a summer break. I love dogs as long as they are happy with cats. If your happy departing on your hollys from Newcastle your welcome to have your beloved pets looked after by the biggest dog lover in the whole world! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Thank you very much Luz. I WISH i could bring them to you but it would take me an entire day just to get to Newcastle from here i think . Plus Murphy does enjoy chasing cats unfortunately -mostly i think thats because they all run away from him though. I dont know about Vienna as she has not met one yet (they all run away before she has even clocked them!) Oh we are also leaving from Gatwick but i will definitely keep you in mind for next time as i have a couple of friends in newcastle who im sure would let us stay for a night and look after the car. Thanks again - wish you were nearer!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »