View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Ah well I did say I would be concerned, it doesn't mean anyone else should think that way. No need to take the pi$$ really.

I was asking if it was a prey or territory issue that's all. In other words is it just a cat thing or is it any intrusion into the territory be that cat, fox, burglar, child retrieving frisbee, delivery driver trying to find somewhere secure to leave a package etc.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jeltz View Post
I was asking if it was a prey or territory issue that's all. In other words is it just a cat thing or is it any intrusion into the territory be that cat, fox, burglar, child retrieving frisbee, delivery driver trying to find somewhere secure to leave a package etc.
AKA anyone trespassing on private property?
I agree to not leaving dogs loose in an area where a member of the public might have a genuine reason to enter, e.g. dog in the front garden who might potentially bite the postman, but a child shouldn't be climbing into my garden to retrieve anything, and if I had a gate into my back garden I would certainly be leaving it locked so no one could just wander in.

If we're extending our responsibilities to the safety of the general public then what about these freeroaming cats? What if I was to trip over one snoozing on my front doorstep when I walked out to my bin with my hands full? Or ended up scratched when trying to shoo one off my car bonnet? Or, if my dogs weren't more likely to try to devour a cat, what if someone's cat attacked my dogs while we were walking down a public road? I've heard it happen before.

I just cannot see why the dog owner is the one at fault when the dog is on their own land, and it is the cats (or children, or delivery driver, or Johnny Depp ) that are entering a private space that they are not entitled to enter
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 10:58 AM
I have to say and this is only my personal opinion.......I actually do feel it would be my responsibility to protect someone else's pet from my dogs (if they were chasers/prey/killed) if they came into my garden. I know accidents happen (law of averages) but I would take responsibility and do my best to see it didn't happen again.

as I say thats my own personal opinion
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2012, 11:01 AM
I think this is a really difficult post. I understand people feel "Its my dog, its my garden, I can't control other things".

But at the same time, if my dog killed 8 cats, I would be devastated. To be fair, i would be over 1.
Whether it be proofing your garden, or speaking to the neighbor to put funds towards this / take extra care etc....I seriously would.

I'm not sure whether this is because I am a cat and dog owner or what....but I really think some kind of action needs to be taken.

For all else, you could get a confident cat that could do some damage before killed.

Again, people most definitely won't agree with me as I have read through the posts. But I just feel the dog owner may need to take some ownership for this. Sorry!
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I have to say and this is only my personal opinion.......I actually do feel it would be my responsibility to protect someone else's pet from my dogs (if they were chasers/prey/killed) if they came into my garden. I know accidents happen (law of averages) but I would take responsibility and do my best to see it didn't happen again.

Glad I'm not the only one! Phew x
baranduin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2012, 12:00 PM
My dog is a predatory type and sadly killed my own cat. She -the dog was a rescue and I never imagined I would NOT be able to train her to ignore the cat. I trained her for 6 months around the cat issue, with help from reputable trainers. Sadly one day dog was on lead passing cat which was on other side of post and rail fence--- the wretched dog saw its chance and grabbed her. would not let go till it was dead despite being walloped with a big stick all the time. SO do not hold out any hope of training a dog to ignore cats.
On another note my daughter has catproofed her garden to keep her 2 in by having chicken wire attached to inward facing posts on the top of trellis or fence. Another idea is some strips of metal with pointy bits on nailed to the top of a fence. These are sold specially for cat deterrents and do not harm the cat but prevent it perching on the fence.
Regards Louise
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post

Personally I feel it's my responsibility to take reasonable precautions which is why I checked before letting Rupert out and if it were dark switched the outside light on and waited a few seconds before opening the door. I also took the time to teach Rupert to ignore the neighbours rabbit in its run against the chain link fence. And the Yorkies next door who charged the fence barking and snarling every time we went out. (Yeah, I moaned about them but I still put in the work )

I had several people say he should be leashed and muzzled at all times in the garden though. And at any time I had the windows open. Or crated. Not reasonable precautions imo.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by baranduin View Post
On another note my daughter has catproofed her garden to keep her 2 in by having chicken wire attached to inward facing posts on the top of trellis or fence.
The chicken wire is facing the wrong way if it's to deter cats entering the garden. The idea is that the overhang turns inwards on the side where the animal is.

Cats are extremely agile creatures. You can regularly see them on the roof of bungalows and sheds etc. Much as I would do what I could to stop cats coming in if I had the problem, I would imagine you're really fighting a losing battle.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
The dog and its owner aren't in the wrong here - they are in their own garden, their own private land, which has been made secure enough to contain their dog. They have fulfilled their obligation as dog owner.
If someone decides not to contain their cats, especially knowing that this dog will kill any that wander into the garden, that is them not fulfilling their obligation as owner of the cat. If a child wanders in, then it is the child's choice (and the parents obligation to keep the child safe and/or teach it not to trespass on private property).
I can't believe some people are suggesting that everyone with a high prey (or guarding breed) keep their dog on lead & muzzled in the garden, or confined to a small kennel/run and let the rest of their garden go to waste because a cat might wander in, a child might climb over the fence. A lot of the time, a garden is the only place these kinds of dogs get freedom, because responsible owners won't let them off-lead in public places where they may chase rabbits out onto roads, etc. - I am certainly not restricting my two's garden exercise in my own, private garden when they're already limited in many places because of my consideration for the general public.
I agree with this, my garden is secure for my dogs. I am not going to be responsible for everyone else's pet in the neigbourhood! Cassie would kill a cat with out a second thought, its why we dont have a cat. I am not going to stop her from lying in the sunshine in her own garden on a nice day because of somebody else's cat who may or may not wander into MY garden.

I am shocked this dog has managed to kill 8 though as they do seem to get the hint when they are not welcome. There is a ginger tom who once chanced a shortcut through our garden when the dogs were out, he hasnt done that again though i can tell you! Sibes can be very persistant though when they want, i once saw Kiska pluck a pigeon from 6ft in the air when it tried to take off.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I agree , mine dont like cats so therefore I do my best to check the garden is cat free before I let them out , you cant always be sure and indeed Tom has had vet treatment chasing a cat in the garden who thought it was ok to have a go ! He was chased over the 6 foot wall with one hound having really sore paws going after him but the cat was safe, I would be real concerned if Tom killed one cat never mind 8
Page 7 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »