View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Well any cat that dropped into my garden would be shredded.

The cats know this, and I have never YET had one pop in uninvited.

Cats are not stupid.

We did have a large Ginger Tom sashay across the wall one time, it never did it again as it got the message from the dogs.

I am afraid that it is not MY responsibility to take care of the local cat population.

If owners have cats that want to drop in on the neighbours it is usually because the cats have learned that the neighbours feed them.

Are these cats with "special needs"?

In any case I make my garden "dog and people" proof, I am not going to spend money on caring for other people's cats!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 01:50 PM
TBF..I have dogs and cats. My cats (in the main) are safe with the dogs. However, any stray cat that comes into our garden will have its butt kicked by either of the girls or our own cats...doesnt happen very often
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 01:54 PM
From your post, it sounds like all 8 cats belonged to the one neighbour? If so, rather than wasting time being annoyed (I would be devastated, but you can't really blame the dog in his own garden) you would think that THEY would be looking at ways to stop the cats hopping over the fence.

I agree your brother can check the garden before letting the dog out, but other than that, the dog is in his own space and rightly or wrongly will continue to dog this if out there unattended and a cat comes into his garden
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 02:45 PM
lol at special needs cats!!
It is a puzzle - there are loads of cats in my area
and Mia is very high pray dirive and stupidly fast
but the cats have no problem scarpering over the fence if they happen to be unnoticed in the garden when I open the door

I agree with the others, check the fencing for anything obvious, see if you can make it a little more secure
But also the neighbour has a duty to protect his cats too - he should be looking to keep them out of your garden too
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Is the fencing of the type that the cats can get in but cant get back out? If so it needs to be altered so they do have an escape route, other than that, its not your responsibility to protect other peoples cats.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Smokeybear, what's your secret? Rupert was a killer of anything he could catch that wasn't human yet I was still plagued by cats wandering into the garden and even into the house!

I used to check for cats before letting him out and he was tethered on a long line when not directly supervised but other than that cats took their chances I'm afraid. No way I was keeping him leashed and muzzled at all times just in case a cat wandered in to the garden or through an open window.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-04-2012, 03:13 PM
I must be very lucky. I have owned cats and dogs together and in that instance never had any neighbours cats in our garden.

The in between times we have been without a dog all the neighbourhood cats visited and one made its home in the front garden. We then had the odd dog to stay for its holidays the cats didn't visit and since Dillon came home the cats have stayed away. We no longer have cats. Ollie was always good with cats and I think Dillon would be. He lets the pigeons walk around the garden while he is laying out there.

Bernese are not known for their high prey drive.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2012, 03:20 PM
When next door moved in, a few years ago, they have two cats, and one had a death wish, kept coming in through the cat flap, locked that, but it decided to use the window in laundry instead, I knew it was there when the dogs would suddenly do a sprint through the house falling over one and other to get to the cat first.

I had a word with the neighbor and told them, the last thing I want is for my dogs to get hold of the cat, so if he comes home wet, you will know why, because from tomorrow, I will be soaking him with water as soon as i see him set foot in my drive.

They were a bit shocked at first, but after explaining to them, its either that or one day his Russian roulette is going to get him, they understood.

have not had any trouble for a good while now, but it seems said cat has decided to play RR again, he is constantly coming into the garden, and sitting on the patio, I check to see if I can see him, before letting Millie out, but one day his luck is going to run out...........something I dread, think I need to have a word again with the owners
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I think in this instance, the best you can do, is cat proof your garden, make it as un inviting to cats as possible. Fishing line the tops, cut back any bushes etc (hiding places!) And then go and speak to your neighbours. I do not agree with only letting the dog out supervised (practical?? not!) nor do I agree that muzzling is the solution.
Why? I don't generally allow my dogs on my grass unsupervised and don't find it impractical at all. They can be unsupervised on our fenced patio/paved area though.

I'd rather check for cats and keep a closer eye on my dog when outside than have it kill someones pet not once but 8 times.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why? I don't generally allow my dogs on my grass unsupervised and don't find it impractical at all. They can be unsupervised on our fenced patio/paved area though.

I'd rather check for cats and keep a closer eye on my dog when outside than have it kill someones pet not once but 8 times.
I agree there, I dont leave my dogs outside unsupervised, if they are out i am with them, or watching while doing the dishes or something

and lets face it an angry neighbour could chuck something over a fence to get their own back at the losee of so many cats
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »