Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 12:01 PM

Clicker Training with the Pain

As of yesterday, I have started clicker training with Rayne in order to try and 'shape' her behaviour around the cats. Her chasing of them is now getting a bit out of hand, particularly over the past few weeks. She rarely chases Tarot, my girl, as she will literally charge at her, hissing and trying to scratch her if she tries. Kaos, my boy on the other hand is a different matter, he will entertain her for a while until she gets too rough, and then will tell her to go away. The problem being that his method of 'telling her' is to meow really pitifully and screw his face up Clearly, Rayne doesn't speak cat!

Once she sets her focus on them, she turns completely deaf and oblivious to everything else going on around her, no amount of attempting to call her away or distraction techniques were working and to be honest I've been at my wits end. In most other respects she is a brilliant dog for her age, so I thought there must be something we can do, just a matter of finding what works for her.

Well after watching 'It's me or the Dog' the other day, I went out and bought a clicker, not something I ever really considered and something I have never done before. Did lots of reading up and thought I'd give it a go, after all what have I got to lose.

I have to say, although it is REALLY early days I'm delighted so far with how quick she is catching on having a clever collie helps! Started by working on her 'watch me' command, using no verbal cues and just clicking and treating every time she looked at me. Within about 5 minutes she was keeping her attention on me really well, so started to introduce the cats to the mix, clicking and treating whenever she took her focus off of the cats, then again if she began to move away etc.

Obviously we still have a long way to go, but so far she is progressing really well, I'm just annoyed with myself that I didn't try it sooner, could have saved my kitties a lot of stress Fingers crossed it continues well!
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I shall follow your progress with interest. Ranger is also tormenting my 3 cats dreadfully, so will be very interested to see if this works for you
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Have posted this in the video section too, but thought I'd put a quick snap of today's progress on. Normally this would involve Rayne jumping all over him and trying to play. (He's protesting to go out the front door even though the back one is propped open, a daily occurence silly boy!) Sorry it's sideways, couldn't figure out how to flip it