Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GoobaTroopa
New Member!
Male 

10-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Early waked and ear/hand nibbling

Hi there, I've had my dog for six weeks and considering she is a rescue, she is amazing. She's roughly ten months old and is doing well with most training. She is house trained and sleeps well, or did.

She's started to wake at 4.30-5am every morning. She used to go through till about 6-7am but it seems to be getting earlier and earlier. We've had her for six weeks now so it can't be the light. We've also started taking her out last thing at night as well as with the heat she is drinking more but as yet that isn't working.

Also she has started nibbling more. She goes for my hands and fingers more than she used to and also seems to go mad for my ears.

Any help as to why this is would bs great. I don't want her to freak someone by nipping them. It won't hurt because she doesn't bite but it may scare them.

As far as I'm aware she is a Vizsla cross. She sleeps in a crate in a cool utility room, three sides covered. It's not dark in the room but it's dull. I don't shut the crate door.

Thanks.
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Has she had her season? Often bitches need to wee more when their season is coming on. Other than that - don't know. My first guess was the light mornings, but you seem to think that is not the case and you will only know for sure when the days shorten.

Nibbling/licking more - try not to make guesses without more info, but it may well be an anxiety thing. Again, if she is coming into season that may explain it. But if not I would look at her routine and see if anything (apart from waking earlier) is going on. Have their been any changes in the househould - people away, work being done, change of diet - all those sorts of things

Is she nibbling herself as well, or just people?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi Tom as Val says if your dog is not spayed it could be she is coming in season. A couple of things to consider...
She's started to wake at 4.30-5am every morning. She used to go through till about 6-7am but it seems to be getting earlier and earlier. We've had her for six weeks now so it can't be the light. We've also started taking her out last thing at night as well as with the heat she is drinking more but as yet that isn't working.
What does she do when she wakes, cry. Do you go to her while she is crying. Do you let her out when she wakes, what does she do just pee or both. What do you feed her/how many meals and at what time , if you are feeding kibble it may be better to soak it, kibble can make dogs very thirsty. If she does both changing the feeding time can sometimes help .
When you say take her out last thing do you give her a walk, the exercise provided by a short walk last thing to an area used by other dogs can stimulate her to relieve herself so you know she is empty when you go to bed. Don't forget the praise when she relieves herself

Also she has started nibbling more. She goes for my hands and fingers more than she used to and also seems to go mad for my ears.
It may be that she has now settled in and feels more confident/able to play. For hands and fingers I would teach her bite inhibition..
Link to teaching bite inhibition ..click here

For ears I would get up/move away/no word no eye contact so you are not rewarding the behaviour with attention. When she is calm and not going for ears play and praise .
As a puppy my current dog had a thing about ears and noses and would leap up unexpectedly to grab them whenever she could.