Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Dog holiday/ pet sitter/ house sitter

My Oh and I are going on a 2 week holiday in the summer.
My parents are looking after the dogs this time, because theres only the 2 boys, but my dad is getting on in years and couldnt cope with anymore, however we want to get another dog after holiday so the question comes up, what are we going to do next year/ next holiday?

I really do NOT like the idea of my dogs going into kennels.
I was wondering what everyone else did for their dogs?

I know some people can come and live in your house and look after your pets while you're away, but Iv searched for this online and the average price is about £50 a day which sounds a heck of a lot???

Wondered if anyone house sits/ pet sits while people are on holiday? Or would anyone be interested if the prospect ever came up?
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm also worried about this as I'm going away for 5 days in February and my mum can't cope with Molly on her own!

A friend of mine recommended a couple to me who actually take your dog(s) while you're away but keep them in their home instead of you putting them into kennels. Perhaps you could have a look in the yellow pages/free adds and see if anyone in your area does this?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I'm also worried about this as I'm going away for 5 days in February and my mum can't cope with Molly on her own!

A friend of mine recommended a couple to me who actually take your dog(s) while you're away but keep them in their home instead of you putting them into kennels. Perhaps you could have a look in the yellow pages/free adds and see if anyone in your area does this?
yeah iv seen this kinda thing but am I right in thinking there are usually other dogs in the house too? If so, im not sure it would be any good to me as Flint is a very sensetive lad and might not take well at being left with strange dogs. I'll have a look though.
Any idea on price? x
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
yeah iv seen this kinda thing but am I right in thinking there are usually other dogs in the house too? If so, im not sure it would be any good to me as Flint is a very sensetive lad and might not take well at being left with strange dogs. I'll have a look though.
Any idea on price? x
I think quite a few will only take one family's dogs at a time, I know the people I've been recommended won't take more than one dog/family of dogs at a time I'm pretty glad of this myself as Molly can be a bit hit and miss with other dogs.

No idea on price I'm afraid but I can't imagine it'll be too cheap. I shall be calling this family sometime in the new year so I can let you know how much they charge when I've got in touch with them if you'd like?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I think quite a few will only take one family's dogs at a time, I know the people I've been recommended won't take more than one dog/family of dogs at a time I'm pretty glad of this myself as Molly can be a bit hit and miss with other dogs.

No idea on price I'm afraid but I can't imagine it'll be too cheap. I shall be calling this family sometime in the new year so I can let you know how much they charge when I've got in touch with them if you'd like?
That would be really good if you could let me know. Im same as you, I would rather just my dogs were in the house rather than lots of others because of Flint
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
That would be really good if you could let me know. Im same as you, I would rather just my dogs were in the house rather than lots of others because of Flint
I'll drop you a PM once I find out then!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 09:58 AM
I'll do it!

I pet sit Sadie all the time...And if it's in the Summer - I should be all moved into my new house

Of course I understand if you want to get a professional to do it
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
We are having the same problem at the minute. I am so worried about leaving Ben we have found a company in Stirling (so an hour and a bits drive) if anyone is in Stirling its called Pet Royale and can be found on Google.

I have been communication with them via email and have yet to meet them without Ben and then with Ben to see what we really think!!

But soi far they are looking fairly promising. They will take Ben into their house and treat him as their own and only 1 familys dog(s) at a tine. Probably not exactly helpful for the OP due to location but the website may give yoou some ideas
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Personally wouldnt trust a pet sitter as far as I could throw one. They do not have insurance that covers your dog and your property, only third party to cover them! Id also not want strangers rooting through my house, nor would I want my dog kept in a strange house with other dogs and the possibility of escape, which happens often.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
When we had to go away for a few days Toby went to stay with his dog walker at her house. I dropped him off in the afternoon and he stayed for 2 nights, then I picked him up in the evening of the third day. So he had 2 full days walking, plus 2 overnights and we paid about £40
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >