Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2012, 11:13 PM

Moving house

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum yesterday and would like a little bit of advice if possible?

At the end of this month im going to be moving a wonderful 400 miles away to move in with my husband who is currently based in Plymouth in the navy. We have been considering getting a puppy and would like to do it as soon as possible after the move so there is plenty time for training before i find myself a full time job, after much consideration we have decided on another border collie, a main point for getting another dog is so our 3 year old bc has a friend, she recently stayed at my mums for 2 weeks while we were away and had the company of 2 labs and its quite obvious she is missing the doggy companionship.

The question i have is do you think getting a puppy followed straight after a move would be too stressful for our current dog? Her name is Maggie by the way. Any opinion you have will be greatly appreciated

Thank you!

Sorry if this is too long and I've rambled on a bit lol
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 02:33 AM
I'd play it by ear. Basically I'd say if she enjoys company of other dogs then it is a good idea but if you feel the move has stressed her a lot it may be you need some one to one time first.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Would you consider getting an older rescue border collie? BCs don't do well when left alone for long periods and if you are intending to go back into full-time employment, it may be that an older collie would suit your circumstances better.

Dogs are very adaptable creatures and mine have moved a few times with me and it has never appeared to bother them. It may be worthwhile though getting yourself settled in first and in some kind of routine before introducing a second dog.

I do agree that dogs tend to enjoy other doggie company though, so I hope it all works out.

There are loads of gorgeous collies in rescue btw, and it may be prudent to find the right male to suit your girl (if you do go down the rescue route) as it can minimise the risk of any falling out.

Good luck with the move and let us know how you get on
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2012, 09:39 AM
I would love to rescue, have put some serious thought into it after hearing my friend just recently took her dog to the kennels to re home knowing fine well i would have taken her too!

But its a no for the oh this time. He's quite set on getting a puppy so we can train it 'our way'. Although i will eventually be going back into work full time the oh will be home rather a lot too, he may be in the forces but when he's not at sea he really doesn't do much at all lol.

I would love to get one sooner than later, Maggie keeps giving me funny looks as though to say 'why should i play with you? You don't even play bitey face' and for her first year and a half she was with my old bc who sadley had to be pts but i would hate to stress her out when there is no need for it....
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 11:42 AM
How about a rescue puppy?

These two beauties are with Morgans Dog Rescue in Cumbria.

Here is what the rescue have to say about them (so much would depend on how much collie experience you have etc)

These two little collie pups are approx 16 weeks old. They have not been handled much and are still very scared, so will need experienced collie homes only, with no children please. They have started their vaccinations, been chipped and will need to be neutered, when old enough. Howard is the tri colour and Hewie is the sable. They are farm bred collies so will need homes that understand this.
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Oh my god my heart has just skipped a beat! I would take them both if i could lol. Will certainly talk to oh about them, need to get say so from land lord first of course but we think he should be fine with it as they are collies, in my experience land lords are more open to having one or more dogs if they are a well known 'respectable' breed