View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm a dog person. My OH is one who owns dogs.

I see the point in taking the dogs out here there and everywhere, new places and different places. He just likes to walk them, but sees no point in going new places.

I like to look into things; diet, activities etc. He would happily go and buy any bag of dog food and tins and feed them that. The only activities they would do would be fetch a ball or go for a run.

I could happily talk to you all day about every aspect of my dogs, their behaviour, personality, exercise, weight, feeding regime etc. He would tell you their names and their crosses.

I don't put up with bad behaviour. He does, until it leads to something of his being broken or chewed. I've seen it happen and left them to it - purely because I've told him the consequences time after time and he needed to learn.

I talk to and about my dogs as if they were children, but apart from the odd baby name - they are treated like dogs. He's anthropomorphic with them.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I see the difference in myself and my husband. I am the 'dog person' of the family and I go to dog events, do fund raising and do the majority of the dog 'stuff'...hubbie owns a dog, he enjoys him but finds dog talk 'boring'....
My situation here exactly
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 03:14 PM
I am positive there is a difference, and I agree with Moobli on this one.

No one here will be surprised to know that I'm a "dog person" or, as I'm often referred to, "that mad dog lady"
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I think I am a person who owns dogs as I am not sure I am a dog person.
Had done all my life;
Walk my dog;
Know what she's thinking.
Know if she's off colour.
Take her most places when I can.
Never let her bother people or dogs.
Avoid other dog walkers.
But will wave or greet in passing.
Come onto dogsey.
So maybe a bit half and half.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 04:36 PM
My hubby wanted the dogs, but i have thrown myself into them wholeheartedly, choosing what they have to eat, wear, walk, train for etc. He loves being out in the fresh air with them, but cant make a decision or take them to the vets, choose food, research anything etc, but if it weren't for him wanting a dog initially then i would not have got one, but definitely was my doing to get the second!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 06:19 PM
im a dog person, and yes id say im the dog person in my family. everyone thinks im weird haha

i think people who "own dogs" are the people who give the random walk around the block, feed the general type of food, dont do a fat lot of training and tend to have breeds they grew up with or the common type of breeds.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm the only one out of 4 kids who has dogs (& didn't have babies). My OH came from a dog owning family (poodles and schnauzers) & said he was allergic to dog hair lol, but he was never 'doggy' til he got a dog for himself. Now he's more understanding that dogs take up most of my life, why else would I get up in the morning!

I come across a lot of people who are owners of dogs rather than dog owners IYSWIM.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I have changed over the years. My parents were people who owned dogs, who of course I grew up with but for the most part my mum fed and walked.

When i got my own dog when I lived alone I started off as just a person who owned a dog, but as I got on the internet and learned how to teach her to do the things I needed her to do I have become much more a doggy person who loves to talk about them.

I do alot of research and have recently started teaching her to read after finding a book on Amazon. I'm not expecting her to read entire books..lol but it's more a way to keep her mind active and give her a challenge as she's very bright mentally and can empty most of the interactive dog puzzles in under a minute!

I'm looking forward to starting again with a new dog, whereas family think it be easier for me to get a dog trained to do everything for me, but to me I'd miss a huge part of the bonding process between us, which I get a great deal of enjoyment out of.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post

i think people who "own dogs" are the people who give the random walk around the block, feed the general type of food, dont do a fat lot of training and tend to have breeds they grew up with or the common type of breeds.
Apart from the walk round the block bit, that sounds rather a lot like me I consider myself to be a dog person for sure as opposed to someone who just happens to have dogs. I don't think it has anything to do with what breed you own tbh.

I'm not much of a trainer, although I try. My dogs don't go to any classes or compete in anything. I am by and large limited to the local park as far as walks go, due to my location and being unable to drive. I don't take them on holiday (then again I don't take myself on holiday).
I do take care with and have an interest in their diet, and yes they are fed out of a bag/can.
Virtually every spare penny I have is spent on them and they mean the world to me. I would live on the streets rather than give them up. Crazy dog lady for sure.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I'm a dog person. My OH is one who owns dogs.

I see the point in taking the dogs out here there and everywhere, new places and different places. He just likes to walk them, but sees no point in going new places.

I like to look into things; diet, activities etc. He would happily go and buy any bag of dog food and tins and feed them that. The only activities they would do would be fetch a ball or go for a run.

I could happily talk to you all day about every aspect of my dogs, their behaviour, personality, exercise, weight, feeding regime etc. He would tell you their names and their crosses.

I don't put up with bad behaviour. He does, until it leads to something of his being broken or chewed. I've seen it happen and left them to it - purely because I've told him the consequences time after time and he needed to learn.

I talk to and about my dogs as if they were children, but apart from the odd baby name - they are treated like dogs. He's anthropomorphic with them.
That's very similar to me and my hubby. Interesting how it is often 1 person is a dog person and the other is someone who just owns dogs
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >