Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 08:35 PM

The KC and colour registration

The Kennel Club have made an interesting announcement today. They're going to restrict registration on pups whose colour is genetically incompatible with the parents, in some breeds.

They're on pretty safe ground (barring mutations) with Yellow x yellow Labradors and blenheim x blenhiem Cavaliers, as these can only produce the same colour but it's going to get a bit dodgy if they implement black x black in any breed, as there's no way of knowing what colours could be carried recessively, even if they're not allowed by the standard of the breed.

There's no mention of any appeal procedure to verify anomolies by DNA parentage testing.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1310/23/5/3
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
There's no mention of any appeal procedure to verify anomolies by DNA parentage testing.
Very interesting! I for one am all in favour of it, however I would like to see them include a procedure to DNA test parentage if a mutation/anomoly occurs. However then we are talking about manadatory permanent ID (as if it were a home test, cheek swab kit, then I wouldn't necessarily trust the breeder to swab the correct dog, assuming a different sire could have been used to give the abnormal colouration?).
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Also, there is no mention of whether or not the program will only include breeds where by a genetic test to test/predict coat colour is available.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Very interesting! I for one am all in favour of it, however I would like to see them include a procedure to DNA test parentage if a mutation/anomoly occurs. However then we are talking about manadatory permanent ID (as if it were a home test, cheek swab kit, then I wouldn't necessarily trust the breeder to swab the correct dog, assuming a different sire could have been used to give the abnormal colouration?).
Ah yes, you've got a point there. I think the sooner the KC introduce compulsory ID by microchip and DNA, the better. This will completely negate the need for colour registration restrictions.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Ah yes, you've got a point there. I think the sooner the KC introduce compulsory ID by microchip and DNA, the better. This will completely negate the need for colour registration restrictions.

I`d like to see the KC do compulsory chip and colour registration and DNA then refuse to register all BC merle to merle litters, [ and refuse to let anyone breeding them from being accredited and to give me their addresses so I can tell them what I think of them :smt021 ], its long overdue for something to be done about a colouring known full well for resulting in deaf pups but some breeders just go ahead anyway to try to breed more merles.
There are so many other hereditary problems in so many breeds which breeders ignore so I`d like to see compulsory health tests with copies of results automatically sent, [ by the labs / hip score panel/Optigen etc ], to the KC as well as the breeders and action taken against anyone breeding regardless of health issues, and for them to be prosecuted and banned from keeping dogs ever again while I`m at it

Eeeeeh I needed that
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-07-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I`d like to see the KC do compulsory chip and colour registration and DNA then refuse to register all BC merle to merle litters, [ and refuse to let anyone breeding them from being accredited and to give me their addresses so I can tell them what I think of them :smt021 ], its long overdue for something to be done about a colouring known full well for resulting in deaf pups but some breeders just go ahead anyway to try to breed more merles.
There are so many other hereditary problems in so many breeds which breeders ignore so I`d like to see compulsory health tests with copies of results automatically sent, [ by the labs / hip score panel/Optigen etc ], to the KC as well as the breeders and action taken against anyone breeding regardless of health issues, and for them to be prosecuted and banned from keeping dogs ever again while I`m at it

Eeeeeh I needed that
Yer gettin a lot of stress relief tonight patch
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 01:39 AM
I think the first thing the KC should be looking at is the 'CORRECT' registration of puppies regarding colour within breeds. I saw so many last year registered that weren't even the right colour descriptions and very misleading. ANY shade of red in my Breed are called RED, whether it's a diluted ginger colour or a dark rich brown. However, there were many puppies registered under ; Ginger, Apricot, Chocolate, Salmon etc, clearly from people who have no real idea about the breed Surely the KC should know from their own breed standards, which colours are correct for each breed, and should therefore question this !
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Yer gettin a lot of stress relief tonight patch

Weeeell, I`m not bendy enough to take up yoga so a good `ol rant has to do the de-stressing job instead
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 06:55 AM
hmmm, not sure I agree with the colour, anomolies can occur a small mutation to a gene can result in a black lab turning up to yellow parents, especially when black is included in the line. (Mated and was shocked when the pup came out black!) but during a genetics class discovered the reason. I think it should be the health tests not colours that they inforce.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 06:57 AM
By the way patch I definately agree on merle to merle matings the amount of people who've asked about our merle boys to put to there merle bitches is astronomically and they all received a lecture from me!!! (Apart from the fact our boys are done) I cant believe people are still so careless with merles.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »