Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Only thing I don't get is why they have to be cages. Why not a nice wooden kennel or similar.

Perhaps down to manoeverability?
Ours is a very sturdy one that folds flat and is very transportable. Its also just the right size for the back of my car. We've taken it to friends houses, hotels, camping, long journeys.

We always know Max will have somewhere secure to sleep
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
wev a crate i use for the car,or to clean out the puppies beds as its easier to keep them together,rather than tripping over them,and maybe standing on one,tigger loes the crate as she spent so much time in there when she was ill,so i only use them for,car,cleaning or a sick doggy,but dont mind if someone else uses them as long as its not there permant place of residence,and too small.

a man up the road(8 miles easy)ebt broke his leg and he was told to crate him for 8 weeks till it healed,only after 8 weeks he forgot to let him out and the dog went stir crazy after i reported him for cruelty and neglect he was in that cage for 1 year in inches of dog dump.and they re-homed him with his brother,and hes back there again,but thats a diffrent story
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't be without one for a young pup. I used to think they were awful...til I tried one and now...
The pup has a place to go where it feels safe and it speeds up house training.
They have to be used in a kind manner, never as a punishment.
My pups are normally out of them by about 6/7 months.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2007, 04:11 PM
i used a crate when smeags was 6 weeks old,until she settled in, only to stop her chewing an electric cable or swollowing something during the night. however, in the mornings she was let out, or if i had to go shopping, she was put back in, no probs, if i was going to be away for 2 or 3 hours, i put some music on the hi-fi for her, it soothes them.

when she had her first season, she was in the crate again, also no probs. i don't have an issue with crates being used, unless the dog frets.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2007, 05:05 PM
I got one for Alfie, it was an absolute god send when he was a puppy. He still sleeps in it at night as I feel happier knowing he's safe in there. It's our other dog, Jessie, who loves going in it in the day. She prefers it to sleeping on my bed.

I don't agree with them when used to crate a pup when someone is at work for 8 hours, and then all night.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Just not for me at all. I have no negative views of those who choose to use them, but to me it just looks wrong.

If I want to see animals in cages, I'll go to the zoo.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post

I'll start.

My personal view is that my dog's crates are their beds. They go to them freely, when they please, for peace, a rest, a chew, whatever, it is their place, no-one elses. Whe I go out, or at night, I crate them. Why, because I feel that when they are crated, I know they are safe and cannot get into mischief. God forbid anyone broke into my home, my dogs won't accidentaly be let out. It also helped with toilet training in the early days, and some training, using the crate for time out.

Now, as my dogs are passed those things, their crates are their own little pieces of space, that is private to them. (my bitch is in her crate as we speak, on her back, upside down, fast asleep )
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Crates are a great idea if they are used in positive training and for the reason they were intended and not open to abuse.
Absolute fan of them. I use them for a new pup when I'm out or at night as I know they are safe. No room can be 100% safe as there's always something to chew on and get stuck in their throats. Training to the crate is done so that the dog see's it as a good place to go. I continue to leave my large crate up as my dogs love curling up in it. I have covered it with a blanket on most sides and my bitch in particular uses it especially when there are thunderstorms or fireworks, it's her safe place to be. Crate training has also come in useful as it was somewhere my bitch could be when she was spayed and needed to be out of the way of my then boisterous young male. It was her sanctury. Again it was useful when my male was injured and needed to be bed rested so to speak for 8 weeks. Now you try telling a BC to rest. As he was happy in his cage. It was set up in the lounge and then in the bedroom and he was happy as larry in it. Also I cage him at shows which I personally prefer to a benching chain as he's protected by any dogs that lunge out. He jumps straight in and often just drifts off to sleep whether i'm there or not. As both of them had been trained to a cage when very young and associate it with good things and a safe place to go. It comes in useful if things crop up or when I go away.
What I am dead against is cages used for just putting the dog in for ease of the owner and it infuriates me they are put in as punishment. They were never made for this.
I do think the problem sometimes with people against them is getting beyond the idea of a dog in a cage. Done correctly it benefits the dog in so many ways
Agree I wouldn't be without mine I wish I'd had one when Ruby was a baby maybe she would have been easier to house train len has been crated from day one had no problem with housetraining and has not destroyed anything in the house apart from his lovely cushion i bought for his bed!
also having children i can make sure the dogs have personal space when they are tired and have bones etc
So I am definatley all for them when used correctly.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I would just like to add and to make it clear. My cages are only closed when I have a new puppy for the first few weeks. Although my cages are up now. The dogs have access in and out whenever they like and they choose when they use them. They prefer to sleep in the cages than on the beds I bought them. It's especially better for my bitch as she hides away in it when there are thunderstorms etc. as it's the only place she doesn't shake and dribble to death.
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 10:58 AM
We have crated Louie for bedtime & when we are out and unable to take him since we brought him home at 8 weeks.

The main reasons were for his safety and our piece of mind, especially as the computer has been in the lounge since we moved in and the wires were very hard to hide!

He is fine and knows exactly where he goes at bedtime, and settles down with no fuss.
I am hoping to start weaning him off it soon but will use it again when we get another pup.

Our neighbours refused to use one as they saw it as being cruel. However they now see the benefits of it once Poppy had chewed through some wires, the daedo rail, & plaster on the wall whilst they were out one day.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 11:15 AM
i use one for Bonnie only when we go out and bedtime. it has helped with house training and our peace of mind.

used correctly they're great.

i dont agree with them being used for long periods during the day.

Hector never had one as we've not got the room for one his size, but luckly he never chewed anything or did any damage.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >