Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum View Post
sorry I'm a bit new to this game forgot to provide the link. It was last months Dog World
Dont worry about forgetting, I wish I had a pound for every time I`ve written a post then had to do a quick edit to add links I forgot to paste in
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
You are incorrect on the bit I have highlighted in bold.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/979

"If your dog was docked on or after 6th April 2007 (28th March for shows held in Wales and irrespective of where it was docked) it will not, under the law, be permitted to be shown at any show in England or Wales where the public are admitted on payment of a fee."

So its not difficult to sort out. If obviously done after the legal date, [ easily clarrified by the dogs DOB which has to be given to Show at KC events ], it matters not where it was done.
Such Show`ers would have to be disqualified, [ if they were silly enough to waste their time and money trying to enter in the first place ], plus they would be committing a criminal offence by doing so.

They would also be open to prosecution as the legislation includes options for legal recourse against buyers/owners of illegally docked dogs, not just the breeders who cause it to be done [ doing it themselves having been illegal for many years already ].

So anyone trying to buy docked would be rather foolish as they can in law be held every bit as accountable as a breeder which should allay your belief that you would not `be able` to sell properly tailed pups.

If you do decide to leave Showing your chosen breed that is your choice of course. There will always be more than enough breeders who will carry on in the Show ring for the love of the breed and the whole dog, not the bit thrown in the bin, so you don`t need to worry on that score :smt001
ok. the animal welfare act prohibits the docking of dogs tails because it is considered cruel to do so ! why is it NOT considered cruel to dock lambs tails, as far as i'm aware farmers WILL contiue to dock lambs tails .
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Many of us here don`t get the doggy press [ myself included ]. Can you be more specific or find a link to it online ?
you SHOULD get the doggy press. it's full of information about health issues for dogs ie: localised virus outbreaks such as parvo etc.etc
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:22 PM
ok. the animal welfare act prohibits the docking of dogs tails because it is considered cruel to do so ! why is it NOT considered cruel to dock lambs tails, as far as i'm aware farmers WILL contiue to dock lambs tails .
A little of that, [ re lambs ], was touched on in the banding thread. We would be going waaay off topic if we talked about it on this thread which is about dogs and Showing but perhaps you might like to start a discussion thread about other animals which have it done to them so we don`t muddy the waters on this topic
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:27 PM
you SHOULD get the doggy press. it's full of information about health issues for dogs ie: localised virus outbreaks such as parvo etc.etc
I tend to find most things online tbh, and news about parvo outbreaks etc are usually on the local TV and radio news and local papers which is much quicker to notify people than monthly mags
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:35 PM
A little of that, [ re lambs ], was touched on in the banding thread. We would be going waaay off topic if we talked about it on this thread which is about dogs and Showing but perhaps you might like to start a discussion thread about other animals which have it done to them so we don`t muddy the waters on this topic
OK ! printed in dog world newspaper at the beginning of this year, at a dog show in england a lady was showing a rottie with a tail, she was asked by the judge to place her finger under the dogs tail at (quote : approximately where it would have been docked : unquote). What's all that about ALFIE!!.
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I tend to find most things online tbh, and news about parvo outbreaks etc are usually on the local TV and radio news and local papers which is much quicker to notify people than monthly mags
weekly paper not mag !!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2007, 07:41 PM
eh??? who is Alfie? and what was the point behind this show story? and how does it relate to the quote about banding lambs you added?
i am a little confused by your posts sometimes, to be honest
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
ALL my dogs are exercised off lead in all sorts of areas - woodlands (with dense undergrowth), open fields, beaches, moors, everywhere you can think of apart from public parks really I've not known any dog personally who's ripped a dew claw either - heard about, yes.. known, no. I've had a couple of mine knock a toe up and also a couple who've wrenched a nail on their foot - maybe we should make sure all dogs have ALL claws removed - would that please you? That would fit your argument perfectly wouldn't it

Debs
question debs ? have any of your dogs had tail injuries on rough ground ?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:53 PM
My dogs are also exercised in dense undergrowth, woods, fields, you name it, they're exercised in it!!! They have never sustained a tail injury and that includes our Beautiful Flat Coat boy, who has quite a narrow tail, but a 'wag' that could break bones if you're not careful. Not one injury...

You seem to be sugeesting that the docking ban should be overruled because people won't buy undocked pups, well thats the whole point, they will, because if they REALLY like that breed for the right reasons (ie not just a 'look) then they will still pursue getting a pup, even, horror of horrors, if it has a tail!
Page 6 of 30 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »