View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2007, 10:59 PM
As with most things concerning dogs, people tend to do what THEY want and impose that on their dogs. I'm not bothered either way. As long as the dog has what it needs, be it indoors or outdoors, it makes no difference. It has to depend on the breed as well, I wouldn't expect a double coated breed like a Mal or an Akita to need central heating like a Staff or a Chihuahua. I think some people are very precious over their dogs but when it comes to the dogs actual requirements, I don't think it matters whether it's indoors or outdoors.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 01:16 AM
I, personally, would never kennel my dogs. I refuse to board my dogs in kennels if I go somewhere. My dogs are pets and belong indoors and thats all there is to it. I have always wondered why people got pets only to leave them outside all the time. You can't really interact with an animal that isn't living with you, you miss out on alot of the great little personaility quirks. You miss out on a lot period. I ask, why have a pet at all, if all it is to you is a yard ornament. Not to mention the happiness of the dog. Dogs need interaction, care, stimulation. It just makes me mad to see a dog abandoned in a back yard or kennel. Kibble, shelter and water do not a good life make.

I'm on the fence about working dogs. It depends what you mean by working dogs. If these are dogs that are getting out of the kennels daily to work, then yes, thats fine. Those dogs are getting the stimulation needed. I would say in the case of working stock dogs, police dogs, etc, kennels are an acceptable enviornment. These dogs have a different description of happiness than your average dog. They are driven to work, and probably wouldn't care much about a sofa and a T.V. Where I get concerned is when you have, for example, hunting dogs that are kenneled ten months out of the year, hunted every day for 6-8weeks, then kenneled again. You can't put dogs on a shelf like that. They aren't canned goods.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 02:38 PM
As long as a dog is warm and gets all the attention and love they need and deserve (as our pets) then I don't see anything wrong with Kennels. Mine are indoor doglets though, being very short haired they could not cope with good old Scottish weather, and besides, I would miss my cuddles 1st thing in the morning too much
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I've got two totally different dogs, one would much much prefer to be with you, while the other would be outside. The flatcoat prefers to be inside, he'd go out in the kennel and run and he's OK with it, but will sit by the gate for an hour or so just in case you decide to change your mind and let him out. I used to have a dog flap on the kitchen door and guaranteed the flatcoat would be inside with you, and the golden would be laying outside in the coldest place you can imagine quite happy on his own, he just likes being outdoors.

Mine go in a kennel/run when I go out, I could leave them in the house, but I have to admit I do like having them outside a lot more in the summer.
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:03 PM
My dogs go into their kennels to eat and sleep and also while i'm at work the rest of the time they are all in the house with me, and when they want to go to bed they will soon let me know.
I think it depends on each individual if they kennel or not and if you have males and females that do not get on then kenneling is a safe option for the dogs.
All my dogs are happy and enjoy going into their kennels. Each to their own.
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8