Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
023banana-face
New Member!
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:43 PM

Puppy & holidays problem

I am thinking of getting a puppy after the 20th of February. However I have to go away for a night in may. I may be able to ask a friend or family to look after the puppy that night. But I heard you're not supposed to leave the puppy alone at all when it's young. Will the puppy be okay for a night?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Do you mean YOU should never leave the puppy without YOU, or it should NEVER be left alone at all?

Neither is correct. Obviously if you cannot take you puppy with you, you can put it in the care of a reponsible person or in a boarding kennels for a night.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Puppies and adult dogs are fine at being left alone provided it is for an appropriate period of time (ie, not all day!) and they are built up slowly to handle it.

A puppy would be fine with a friend or family member looking after it for one night. I am assuming this is what you mean.

If you mean leave the puppy in alone in the house overnight while you are out, I would never do this with a puppy. I have dogsat for mature adult dogs where I have left last thing at night and come back first thing in the morning, but I would not do this for a puppy.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by 023banana-face View Post
I am thinking of getting a puppy after the 20th of February. However I have to go away for a night in may. I may be able to ask a friend or family to look after the puppy that night. But I heard you're not supposed to leave the puppy alone at all when it's young. Will the puppy be okay for a night?
presuming the pup you get is between 8-12 weeks old, when you go away in may the pup will be 5-6 months old. im sure it will be perfectly fine in a local boarding kennels for a night if you can not get a family member to have it.

not ever leaving the puppy is going to cause you problems. mine got used to being on their own from the day i brought them home. as a result (not that i do it often) they can be left for numerous hours on their own without a problem.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 11:18 AM
If you mean leaving the puppy alone overnight in your hose, no that is not acceptable.

If you mean leaving it with someone you know or booking a night at a boarding kennels or with a pet sitter, that's absolutely fine.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Our puppy coped fine being with my sister in law at 5 months of age for a trip we had arranged months before and he was there 5 days.