Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Lily and Maddison are now separated :(

A lot of people are up in arms about this...what are your thoughts?

http://dogstrustblog.blogspot.com/20...on-update.html
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Why are people up in arms about it. It action that was taken seemed resonable to me.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:18 PM
The saddest thing I read was a local kennels appealing for a home for an old dog (13 I think) who had spent ten years in kennels because he came in with another big dog and they decided they `had to stay together`.
Because there are few homes that will take 2 big dogs, they had languished there for 10 years - till one died. Then we got the sob story.

They`re not a married couple, they`re 2 animals. Of course they should be rehomed separately if that is what is best for them.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Very sad that the two dogs have been separated, but it seems that Dogs' Trust really tried hard with them. At least Maddison is in a new home and hopefully Lilly will also soon find a caring new home.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:26 PM
I read the statement from Dogs Trust yesterday and I have to agree that they did the right thing. I'm sure it wasn't a decision that was made lightly by either the new owners or the Dogs Trust and at the end of the day, the welfare of the dogs is what really matters.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:29 PM
So what is the reason that people are up in arms.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't know what the big deal is. There are many dogs to co-habit and then one day something changes within the dynamics of that relationship and they no longer get on, sometimes one (or both) have to be re-homed.

If it is in the best interests of the dog(s) and owner(s) then I fail to see a problem?
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I haven't followed the story closely, but if you read the comments in that post alone it will give you a good idea. A lot of people seem to feel there's something "off" about the story I guess. One question that was raised was, if it was known that Lily wasn't good with other dogs, then why was she re homed with a family who had their daughters dogs over often enough that it was a concern?

I agree, if the dogs no longer got along, keeping them together for human sentiment's sake would be wrong, Lily doesn't need the stress and neither does Maddison. But many GD people feel like the had they gone to a different home, things might not have turned out this way. We'll never know what really went on in that home, and what contributed to them suddenly hating eachother...if it was somehow made worse by the new owners or what. I do think though that it might be best for Lily to be transfered to a breed specific rescue, preferably one who's experienced with blind danes, as they would be much more apt to find the RIGHT home for her, and would have her in foster care which is much better for a dane than any kennel situation could ever be, no matter how nice it is.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Well I have read some of the posts and some try to make out they know all about dogs.

If they did they would know that dogs who have been best friends can suddenly no longer stand the sight of each other.

I guess with loads of people watching what you do you ain't going to do right for everyone.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 08:15 PM
That's very true..happens everyday in normal homes where there isn't a stressful trigger like being moved around from long time home, kennel with a bunch of strangers and then into another home.