Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
No lol, I usually have to do the opposite, Akitas have such a bad reputation! People fuss and ask what breed they are, then when i tell them they step back in horror, hmmm so you can make a wrong assumption about a breed without even recognising them, you gossiping tabloid reading thick small minded numpty! So i find myself having to big them up!

Keisha always gets a lot more admiring glances than Zeke, poor Zeke just sits in the background, she's the cheeky one, he's perfect - she's just more fluffy so gets more attention!
It's funny how they loved them before they knew what they were.

Fluffy you say? Please tell me you have a longcoat! *jumps up and down excitedly*
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm not surprised - Prince is stunning!
I don't very often actively dissuade people from getting a Greyhound - I'm normally encouraging them, especially to first time owners. I do discourage people who ask about them and who want a statue, not a dog - but then I'm discourage them from getting any dog!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 06:14 PM
No lol, I usually have to do the opposite, Akitas have such a bad reputation! People fuss and ask what breed they are, then when i tell them they step back in horror, hmmm so you can make a wrong assumption about a breed without even recognising them,
Lol, people used to do the exact same thing with my rottie mix. Wolf was the softest lump of dog ever born and people would be all over him, cooing and baby talking him then they'd ask what breed he was. As soon as I said rottie cross they'd leap back from the baby killing monster with a horrified gasp
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I think Bo has successfully managed to put a lot of people off her breed herself. Not because she is nasty but because she is crazy.

I actually had a woman laugh and ask me how I coped with her yesterday, as she was running at full speed in circles barking and then leaping in air around her dogs (two rather enormous Great Pyrenees) who were just standing there.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2011, 08:35 PM
The thing is Claire..

Dissing your dog is an actual bone fide training technique...
.....its relatively new, it comes out of America:

http://http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4e76d2c36c/dissing-your-dog-from-nino

I have a private training client thats a Dobie X shepherd.
He gave me a good bite on my leg during the assessment when he bust out his car while his mum was putting his muzzle on.
I sorted out a few of his people and dog issues and he is my best bud now!
He has even stayed at my house with my dogs and baby.
He is just such a dude.
I dont normally go for Dobies, but i love Shepherds.
But a Dobie X Shepherd....stunning.
Bryn is Mr Handsome in droves.
I would definitely get one
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 08:45 PM
All the time. I usually start with the cost. Theve usually decided they dont want a dog by the time im finished. But that just shows there not the people that should be having them if there not willing to take it all on
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-11-2011, 08:53 PM
gossiping tabloid reading thick small minded numpty!
Wonderful, that did make me laugh

Re-arranged that could be GoTaReTSMiN
Hmmmm could that be a new word
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 08:59 PM
All the time. It would seem that everyone wants 'one of them husky dogs' (pointing at Keiko) and I have to tell them she's hard work and noisy and as a breed they are often dog aggressive etc etc. They still want one of them husky dogs though

(Keiko's actually really good but I try not to paint such a rose tinted picture of her)
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I'll just add that nobody really asks about my alsatian crosses (Estrelas ) so I don't need to put them off.

I'm always jumping to the defence of Jack Russell as pets though. My Rogue is a model dog. Her nickname is Polly Perfect.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 09:17 PM
He does have a really admiring look on his face in the photo!

I definitely usually try to put people off my breed as they are a nightmare in the wrong hands (or from the wrong breeders). I explain about the high grooming needs and high energy and work capacity and that I do agility and my 2 can take 2 hours of exercise a day and still want to play with their toys when they get home and they are 9 and nearly 10.

When I have spoken to the "right" owner (in my opinion) then I stress the positive side to the breed as well. Three people that I know of have gone on to get Kerries )form Parker's breeder) and they are very happy with their dogs.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >