View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I met a young miniature poodle girl a while back while out walking.

She was a fabulous little dog and so beautiful.

What is wrong with just a plain poodle?
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
I met a young miniature poodle girl a while back while out walking.

She was a fabulous little dog and so beautiful.

What is wrong with just a plain poodle?

Absolutely nothing!

People are put off them by their image though, they're seen as prissy, flouncy ridiculous things with silly haircuts. People are always expressing surprise that mine is fast, fit, intelligent, has no bald bits and is often muddy.

I'm not opposed to breeding crosses in principle though. I'm no geneticist admittedly but if we just keep breeding from a small pool in each breed surely the health issues will only get worse and worse as time goes on?
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
Absolutely nothing!

People are put off them by their image though, they're seen as prissy, flouncy ridiculous things with silly haircuts. People are always expressing surprise that mine is fast, fit, intelligent, has no bald bits and is often muddy.

I'm not opposed to breeding crosses in principle though. I'm no geneticist admittedly but if we just keep breeding from a small pool in each breed surely the health issues will only get worse and worse as time goes on?
Well this little girl I met was just like that.
She was full of life and had a lovely jet black coat.
She was bounding around full of life and fun and was so sociable too.
I could have easily taken her home xx
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Well this little girl I met was just like that.
She was full of life and had a lovely jet black coat.
She was bounding around full of life and fun and was so sociable too.
I could have easily taken her home xx
Oh they're wonderful dogs, but I wouldn't go around telling everyone to get them though, they need more exercise and mental stimulation than people realise, even the little ones.

I tend to recommend bichons to beginners looking for a non shedding dog.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
You've never met any so they don't exist? Five seconds on Google will show you that they do.

That is a broad sweeping statement. Would be the same as me saying all show breeders care only about rosettes and trophies.
How does googling on the net show that UK breeders of crossbreeds & mongrels do ALL the relevant health tests ??

For a Lab x Standard Poodle it would mean Hip/elbow scoring, yearly clinical eye testing,DNA NARC , prcd-PRA test & RD/OSD, testing for SA & VWD & of course they are two of the worse affected breeds for epilepsy.

You find me 1 Lab x SP whose parents & G/parents have had all these tests done & whose whole 5 generation pedigree has every dog being HD scored & clinically eyed tested on the net)with the proof of course as anyone can claim on the net that their dogs have been tested)

What reason do designer dog breeders(& those who breed from ths F1 offspring)have for breeding other than to sell the puppies for money ? They cannot be to improve the breeds because they are not a breed, it isn't to produce a low allergen dog because unless both breeds used are non shed then the puppies WILL shed.

I plan to breed a litter from my fully health tested BC bitch to produce good working dogs & to preserve known working bloodlines-the health tests to date have cost me over £2,500 for all my BCs to ensure that if I do produce a litter they will be free from genetic disorders & have a good chance of having good hips/elbows-this is before I start planning the mating Hardly breeding for money ! I plan to possibly keep most of the puppies as well
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Met a guy with a lovely little pup recently,he proudly told me she was a lhasa-poo,i then introduced him to Minnie ,my Poo-Poo, he was not amused.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
How does googling on the net show that UK breeders of crossbreeds & mongrels do ALL the relevant health tests ??
Uk breeders of crossbreeds and mongrels? All of them? There are so many variables in that group, you can't class them all together. If you mean Labradoodle breeders, the information on their website is a giveaway. Obviously you can't take this as gospel and if you were looking to get a puppy from them you would investigate further and not just take their word for it.

For a Lab x Standard Poodle it would mean Hip/elbow scoring, yearly clinical eye testing,DNA NARC , prcd-PRA test & RD/OSD, testing for SA & VWD & of course they are two of the worse affected breeds for epilepsy.
Good to know, I'll bear this in in mind in the unlikely event that I ever want to purchase a Labradoodle.

You find me 1 Lab x SP whose parents & G/parents have had all these tests done & whose whole 5 generation pedigree has every dog being HD scored & clinically eyed tested on the net)with the proof of course as anyone can claim on the net that their dogs have been tested)
I'll see what I can do but I haven't got all night FTR, I wouldn't know where to begin to find this information regardless of the pedigree (or lack of) of the dog. This is why I prefer mutts, proper mutts without all the faff. But that's just me.

What reason do designer dog breeders(& those who breed from ths F1 offspring)have for breeding other than to sell the puppies for money ? They cannot be to improve the breeds because they are not a breed, it isn't to produce a low allergen dog because unless both breeds used are non shed then the puppies WILL shed.
Reasons for breeding them? All too often just for a quick buck, and I don't support that, but as I have said this is in no way limited to the 'designer dog' world so why single them out? There are breeders out there who want to produce healthy, well adjusted companion dogs for people who want them, and I just cannot see what all the fuss is about just because they aren't purebred.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Just caught up

Heres another question then....I know nothingabout breeding dogs or KC reg etc etc., but how does it work if you have a Poo (for instance) that has a fabulous pedigree with a long line of ancestors etc etc., then you X breed it..........does that not ruin thats dogs pedigree???? Years and years back when people had a pedigree thats what it was all about ''the pedigree of that dog'' if however that dog got caught by the local labrador then they were known as ''1st crosses'' and the pedigree was ruined...........does that not matter now-a-days then?
Last night in the bargain pages there were 9 adverts for PooXXX's and its was not just X with labradores, one was a yorkoodle
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 02:53 PM
I've been helping out at my training class and sitting in on the puppy classes and there are so many poodle crosses, mainly cockerpoos, that i've been surprised at how popular they are as I dont see many when out walking.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Because they think it's funny having a poo or an oodle.

I can't wait for the day someone mates two of these designer dogs together. Dad is pomeranean cross with a yourkshire terrier and mum is a norfolk terrier cross poodle. Yes laydeez and gentlemen - I give you the £2000 Pot Noodle!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >