And oodles and oodles and oodles of O's ya know
They givin' oodles of O's and O's
And oodles and oodles and oodles of
(OH!)
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2011, 05:52 PM
It seems the new one on the block if the Floodle Yip Flat coat Retriever x Poodle
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Floodle!!!! How can people keep a straight face when they say these things!!!??
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
As far as I'm concerned, irresponsible breeding is just that regardless of whether they're crosses or not. If a particular 'oodle' makes a good pet and is in demand, I see no harm in breeding them responsibly. I realise this is often not how it's done but that is true across the dog world, pedigree or otherwise.

Some people can't/won't rescue for whatever reason. What if they don't want a pedigree dog? Is that allowed? For what it's worth, I've always had crosses and have always referred to them as such, no silly names, but they are in no way lesser. A dog is a dog is a dog.

Trouble with this way of thinking is do these "designer dog"breeders bother with health testing ??? Simple answer is no & how do you know if crossing two breeds will result in a certain type of puppy ? Again the simple answer is you don't because crosses are predictable in only one aspect-the resulting dogs type is totally unpredictable.

I have no problem with people preferring to own mongrels-or breeding crossbreeding as long as any breeding is only from fully health tested parents(just as I would expect from someone breeding pedigree dogs)the thing is cross breed & mongrel breeders don't health test their only reason for breeding is to make money-not spend it on expensive health testing
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:19 PM
I remain convinced they pick poodles just so they can stick -oodle on the end of the word (unless you get wicked people like me who reverse it and overemphasise the "poo" so a labradoodle becomes a POOador)
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Trouble with this way of thinking is do these "designer dog"breeders bother with health testing ??? Simple answer is no & how do you know if crossing two breeds will result in a certain type of puppy ? Again the simple answer is you don't because crosses are predictable in only one aspect-the resulting dogs type is totally unpredictable.
None of them health test? Really? I would guess that the percentage of Labradors, to name a popular breed, that are bred responsibly with all the health tests etc done is not a high one. The problem isn't with the breed, but the breeders. Aren't huskies the latest rescue casualty? Should we condemn all huskies and husky breeders? Of course not. So the sad fact that so many are churning out designer crosses with little care or thought doesn't mean it can't be done responsibly.
I do agree that crossbreeds can vary a lot between individuals, and people should be aware of that if they're getting a pup. I also believe that some crosses are very unwise - I saw an ad once for Dogue de Bordeaux x Bassett hound pups Talk about a conformational trainwreck.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
None of them health test? Really? I would guess that the percentage of Labradors, to name a popular breed, that are bred responsibly with all the health tests etc done is not a high one. The problem isn't with the breed, but the breeders. Aren't huskies the latest rescue casualty? Should we condemn all huskies and husky breeders? Of course not. So the sad fact that so many are churning out designer crosses with little care or thought doesn't mean it can't be done responsibly.

I do agree that crossbreeds can vary a lot between individuals, and people should be aware of that if they're getting a pup. I also believe that some crosses are very unwise - I saw an ad once for Dogue de Bordeaux x Bassett hound pups Talk about a conformational trainwreck.
Half of all Labradors bred in the UK are not KC registered & it is these that are not health tested at all(around 90,000 Labs bred yearly 50 % being KC reg & health tested). I know a good many Labrador breeders(of KC reg dogs)& they all hip/elbow score & eye & DNA test

I have yet to meet or read of any designer dog/mongrel breeder who does all available health tests on their dogs-for example "Labradoodle"should be hip/elbow scored, eye tested & DNA tested plus SA clear & come from dogs that have no history of epilepsy Labradoodles have only had a handful of dogs hip scored & most of the scores are quite high,"Cavachons"never read/met/heard of any that have come from MRI screened parents let alone eye & heart tested. I could go on & on & on

Cross breed & mongrel breeders only want the money health tests are an unacceptable expense to them
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't have a problem with it but would like the breeders to do relevant health tests---but they tend not to. Then neither do loads of breeders of various other breeds---collies being probably the most numerous.

You are as likely to see a spinning wsd/collie as an oodle. Look on the bright side---it provides groomers with a lot more fodder!

They aren't unusual any more whatever they are crossed with it seems, there are plenty crossed with collies, Richard Curtis works one and loads in agility. For many years there have been poo jacks in agility---one person in particular used to run several of them and then others aquired them. It was well before the .....oodle thing happened!

I don't have a problem with lurchers either. Cross breeds don't bother me and if people want them then thats what a free market does.

Staffie breeding bothers me a whole lot more. I looked at Battersea pages the other day----75% must have been staffie types.

rune
Entirely agree
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:46 PM
I have yet to meet or read of any designer dog/mongrel breeder who does all available health tests on their dogs-for example "Labradoodle"should be hip/elbow scored, eye tested & DNA tested plus SA clear & come from dogs that have no history of epilepsy Labradoodles have only had a handful of dogs hip scored & most of the scores are quite high,"Cavachons"never read/met/heard of any that have come from MRI screened parents let alone eye & heart tested. I could go on & on & on

You've never met any so they don't exist? Five seconds on Google will show you that they do.

Cross breed & mongrel breeders only want the money health tests are an unacceptable expense to them
That is a broad sweeping statement. Would be the same as me saying all show breeders care only about rosettes and trophies.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >