View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Its just fashionable and people are under the odd illusion that any thing apoo makes a great dog.

By and large they do seem to be friendly dogs, all seem to be absolutely nutty though.. I see LOADS round here - in general they have zero recall, are about 100 foot in front of the owner, and run up to dogs and people to play.

I do wonder though, how many of these dogs are going to end up being rehomed or in rescue in the next few years - I dont think people think when they are getting these dogs.

They do not consider 'do I want a cocker spaniel - do I want a poodle? Can I cope with these dogs breed traits' The answer would probably be 'no'. 'I know - I'll get a cockerpoo - bound to be perfect!'

I used to be quite good at guessing what cross they were but now people are crossing cavaliers, shih tzus, schnauzers, jrts I have no clue!
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 11:58 PM
As far as I'm concerned, irresponsible breeding is just that regardless of whether they're crosses or not. If a particular 'oodle' makes a good pet and is in demand, I see no harm in breeding them responsibly. I realise this is often not how it's done but that is true across the dog world, pedigree or otherwise.

Some people can't/won't rescue for whatever reason. What if they don't want a pedigree dog? Is that allowed? For what it's worth, I've always had crosses and have always referred to them as such, no silly names, but they are in no way lesser. A dog is a dog is a dog.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 12:00 AM
i find the whole idea of naming things "something-apoo" endlessly amusing!!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2011, 12:07 AM
My boxer is cross a 120 year old one ,do you think there were people back then in Germany saying ''dont call it a boxer ,its just a brabanter cross bulldog ..lol
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
My boxer is cross a 120 year old one ,do you think there were people back then in Germany saying ''dont call it a boxer ,its just a brabanter cross bulldog ..lol
Oh no that means I offically have "sprocker" spaniels since they were both the same breed not too long ago!
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 01:02 AM
I met two 'cockerpoos' today, both lovely little dogs, very cute and very friendly. As long as both parents are healthy I don't really see what the huge problem is. All breeds were man made at some point.

I do wonder where all these poodles are that are creating the crosses and worry that they're living in awful puppy farm conditions. Now surely that should be the concern for dog lovers rather than getting worked up about silly names and lack of pedigree?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Why is it that SO many people are breeding poodles with other breeds..............am I missing something!!!!

Today whilst in Iceland 2 woman are standing near me one buzzing with excitement about her new puppy thats long awaited....will be ready next week
.............. going to Wales to pick it up

Its a jackoodle

Yep a small tri JRT bitch that has been mated with a black male poodle

I'm sorry but this breed x breed thing doesn't sit well with me..........maybe Im old fashioned
Because anything crossed with a poodle is just "sooooooooo cute!"

In their opinion.

Maybe they heard some rumour they won't shed their coats too.

It makes me mad too, especially when you now see the 'breed specific' rescues being set up now for these crossbreeds, such as labradoodle rescue, says it all. Heartbreaking .
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Theres a Rottie cross Poodle at work, gotta say he's the best 'doodle' I've ever seen, friendly, calm, got a cute scruffy appeal, but he is the only calm and well behaved poodle cross I think I've ever known, and thats prolly more down to luck then anything, I have to say though I was at one point looking forward to seeing what one man on a forum would produce, he was gonna breed a Poodle to a Greyhound, he wanted a gun dog bred to a sighthound to see if it would help with retrieve and some other things, he also wanted a more light built gun dog over a dog like a Lab, and he said he was looking for a working Poodle, I was looking forward to seeing whether it would work, but then he started talking about what he would call it, dur it would be a lurcher, but he was on about calling it Greyoodle or summat, I lost intrest after that, and don't think any puppies were produced in the end.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Larabee - I agree with you in that I don't really have a problem with crossing breeds - however I think
- dogs bred from should be healthy, health tested, good examples of their breed.
- should be sound in temperament.
- the cross should offer something, ie there should be a good reason behind it (when breeds were created previously they would attempt to improve the dog for a certain job)
- people should consider whether this is the right cross for them and whether they can offer the dog the necessary exercise and stimulation.

This way you are breeding responsibly, producing hopefully a sound cross, and the dog will end up in good hands.

Sadly I think the reality of it is that most people are just breeding for money with no regard for how the puppies will turn out, and all sorts of people are buying them without thinking it through under the illusion they definitely won't shed.

Thankfully they do seem to be quite sweet friendly dogs even if a bit crazy, but it's only a matter of time before things potentially go a bit wrong...
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 08:57 AM
I don't have a problem with it but would like the breeders to do relevant health tests---but they tend not to. Then neither do loads of breeders of various other breeds---collies being probably the most numerous.

You are as likely to see a spinning wsd/collie as an oodle. Look on the bright side---it provides groomers with a lot more fodder!

They aren't unusual any more whatever they are crossed with it seems, there are plenty crossed with collies, Richard Curtis works one and loads in agility. For many years there have been poo jacks in agility---one person in particular used to run several of them and then others aquired them. It was well before the .....oodle thing happened!

I don't have a problem with lurchers either. Cross breeds don't bother me and if people want them then thats what a free market does.

Staffie breeding bothers me a whole lot more. I looked at Battersea pages the other day----75% must have been staffie types.

rune
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »