Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-05-2012, 05:50 PM

Shampooing advice

Just need some advice on how & when to shampoo my dog. He is my first dog & so I have very little idea as to what to do. I live in Turkey & George is a street dog who wandered into my garden & refused to leave after being fed & watered.
He is a bit smelly however & my first attempt did not do to much to improve things. Just wondered if there was any advice as to how often, what's the best type of shampoo, & what is the best way to keep him clean. I was going to wipe him down with normal wet wipes at the end of the day but worried that the chemicals may be bad for him when he licks his coat?
Sorry if I sound a bit clueless but I am
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules of when to bath your dog.
When we had Pepsi we had to do her monthly because she had a flea allergy and skin condition but now we have got on top of that we just do her when she is mega dirty or smelly
A good quality dog shampoo should do the job.
Probably someone with more knowledge will be along in a while with some more advice.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 06:14 PM
I remember your first posts about George. I`m glad it`s working out for you both.
Why not get an anti-bacterial dog shampoo? I wouldn`t use it too often or it will take the natural oils from the coat. Make sure you rinse it off properly afterwards.
A good brush every day will also help.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-05-2012, 06:39 PM
About once year with my dogs and my lurcher has never had a bath.
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Once i got a gold advice.

Don't use a dog shampoo as its full of chemicals, instead use Johnsons Baby no tears, if its good enough for baby its good for everyone No harsh chemicals and leaves the skin moisturized. I use it already for 7 years and don't buy any other shampoo since then

My dogs skin and coat is always in perfect condition after washing and smells good too, not like after dog shampoos...
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks for all the advice It can be a bit confusing when everyone has different ideas but at least I feel that I am now better informed & can make a more sensible dicision The Johnsons baby shampoo sounds interesting but not sure if I can get it here.
As for ClaireandDaisy, thanks for the good wishes & advice. I wouldn't say it is exactly working out as George has his problems (scared of people & especially other dogs) & it is proving very difficult but I love him to bits & will keep trying.
XoloLover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Ill second the suggestion of johnsons baby shampoo, I studied as a dog groomer and unless you want to pay through the nose for good quality shampoos bought online/from shows it is easily the best and mildest option. It what ive always used on my boston terrier before dog shows and it brings his coat up nice and clean any shiny
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 10:03 AM
A healthy dog shouldn't really smell too much, if he continues to smell then I would consider either changing his diet or having him checked out for a medical cause (e.g. bacterial or yeast skin infection)
I buy shampoo on Ebay, it's a tub of stuff you dilute quite a lot so lasts ages. I bought a "grime buster" one that's meant to be good at nasty odours, as the only reason I tend to bathe mine is when they've rolled in something really stinky!

If you can't get much over there, you could look at homemade shampoo recipes. Some of the most basic recipes just involve antibacterial soap and white vinegar!
http://miss-donna.hubpages.com/hub/T...de_Dog_Shampoo