View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-01-2010, 09:23 AM

Reporter Being bitten by a Police Dog; spot the mistakes!

This is very interesting. Watch the video and then go back to the source for their summery.
http://animalbehaviorassociates.com/...-a-dog-attack/

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Tc
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I watched that and to be honest I thought before he even put his second hand on the dog and leaned forward, that dog was already showing signs of not being happy .... watch the lip licking

strange that he wasn't told how to behave around a strange dog, surprises me that they would allow this to be honest
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Is this the one with the CGI image.....

I found it interesting that when they reconstruct it - they completely change the dogs position and posture making it look more aggressive than nervous.

Trouble is - you don't see the reporter approaching the dog - the first thing you see is the dog between the two people, where it is clearly tense.

Its eyes are flicking between the handler and the Reporter, and the ear set is not relaxed and already defensive.

It would have been interesting to see if the handler and dog were there first - or if they had to move the dog into position between them....I would be tempted to think the latter due to the way he is holding the lead.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Is this the one with the CGI image.....

I found it interesting that when they reconstruct it - they completely change the dogs position and posture making it look more aggressive than nervous.

Trouble is - you don't see the reporter approaching the dog - the first thing you see is the dog between the two people, where it is clearly tense.

Its eyes are flicking between the handler and the Reporter, and the ear set is not relaxed and already defensive.

It would have been interesting to see if the handler and dog were thier first - or if they had to move the dog into position between them....I would be tempted to think the latter due to the way he is holding the lead.
Bet your right there hun
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-01-2010, 09:58 AM
For me it is the fact the Police Dog is confined and the reporter is leaning into the dog face-first! Crazy!

And the voice over stated the dog delivered a 450lb pressure bite! No chance!
The dog did his best not to seriously hurt that reporter.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi,

I think the reporter deserved what he got. Sorry if that sounds harsh but to approach a strange dog, put both hands on it (particularly around it's neck) and then lean over it is asking for trouble; even moreseo when the police officer said he was still getting to know the dog.

The reporter should have been told how to sit or stand and how to behave around the dog. He shoul dhave practised first before the dog had to be anywhere near him.

I think it's fortunate that the handler acknowledged that the dog was reacting to the actions of the reporter and wasn't just being aggresive for the hell of it. So many dogs are PTS because they've bitten without people thinking of the reasons.

I'm also surprised that a civilian was allowed to get so close to a working police dog. In this Country there's no way on earth that would have happened. Here, with the GSDs (in West Mids anyway) if you're not in uniform you're fair game. If a handler isn't in uniform then the dog is relaxed. If the handler is in uniform thent he dog is working and here officers won't allow you anywhere near the dogs.
On the other hand, the sniffer dogs (mostly ESS in West Mids) will lick you to death!

Laura xx
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-01-2010, 11:39 AM
...I agree. I think the dog exercised a heck of a lot of restraint.
The dog could have killed that man in one bite no problem!

Laura, have you seen my thread on UK Police Dogs? Im interested in how they train them.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Agreed, I was uncomfortable watching how uncomfortable the dog was feeling. That bite was on the cards for several minutes before it was delivered. It was completely the handler's fault. His job is to protect his dog and he failed. And all that nonsense about bite force! The reporter barely got scratched. Like others have said if the dog wanted to hurt him it could have taken his face off.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I think the policeman needs a course in dog calming signals
That dog was clearly unhappy sitting between the two - the policeman should have moved away before then and told the guy not to touch the dog
Its the policemans fault totaly
But that is a v nervous dog and I would worry about it being a police dog
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I think the policeman needs a course in dog calming signals
That dog was clearly unhappy sitting between the two - the policeman should have moved away before then and told the guy not to touch the dog
Its the policemans fault totaly
But that is a v nervous dog and I would worry about it being a police dog
Agree ...

Wys
x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >