Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Yep! I would say 3 weeks to be safe, it is ok to take her out on a lead for the first week if you can drive to somewhere with a low dog population but after that safer to play with her in the garden and invent new games and training. I used to like the seasons because you put the effort in and my bitches always came out the other end with a new skill or training accomplishment and she and I with a deeper understanding.
And if you can carry her to the car it is even better, that way she doesn't leave her scent all down the path and have the boys round.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Yep! I would say 3 weeks to be safe, it is ok to take her out on a lead for the first week if you can drive to somewhere with a low dog population but after that safer to play with her in the garden and invent new games and training. I used to like the seasons because you put the effort in and my bitches always came out the other end with a new skill or training accomplishment and she and I with a deeper understanding.
Thanks Pita. We live in a pretty low dog population area - that is, the chances of meeting a dog on our walk are pretty small - but is it unfair on the male dogs that do live in the area - during her first week, will she still send them all nutty?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
And if you can carry her to the car it is even better, that way she doesn't leave her scent all down the path and have the boys round.
Thanks Random She's easily carriable. Mind you, we don't get loose dogs round here so may not have to worry about that anyway.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
- but is it unfair on the male dogs that do live in the area - during her first week, will she still send them all nutty?
Actually she may well not, if you can get her into the car on your own property and drive away from the house you should be able to walk her for most of her season, on lead of course. Most mature dogs will not be that interested until about the 12 day, mind you young dogs will be interested even if she is not in season so it should not be too much of a problem.

Now days I have 3 intact males and my neighbour has intact females and it is not a problem, they will go to the fence between the bitches garden and our field but if you call they come away.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks again Pita.

I agree with what you say about using at an opportunity to do more training etc, but it would be good if she can have at least some walks during the earlier period, without upsetting anyone else.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Thanks Random She's easily carriable. Mind you, we don't get loose dogs round here so may not have to worry about that anyway.
It works not just for loose dogs but for people walking dogs past your house onlead, when Maddy was in season some dogs would pull like mad towards our house but if there are not many dogs around anyway you should be fine taking her out through her season as long as she stays onlead but that is everyones individual decision if to take them out or not, obviously some breeds easier than other to keep in for a 4 week period!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2