Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 10:32 AM

Nearly got into a fight with a BYB

I was in our usual field this morning with my dogs and a friend. My friend's dog went chasing a cat up the field so we all went after her. She'd gotten into this garden which had no fence up at the back. Bearing in mind hat the houses back onto a public park/playing field.

Bryan went into the garden as well so I went in after them and couldn't believe my eyes. The garden was really overgrown with a really big trampoline in the middle (taking up most of the garden). About 4 feet out from the back of the house was a fence and inside the fence were 3 shar-peis.

This house is about 6 houses down from mine and I have never ever seen these dogs. My OH had been told that someone was breeding shar-peis there, but I didn't believe it because I've never seen them being walked and there was no sign that there were any dogs there.

So , I go in the garden to flush out our dogs. The shar-peis were barking a bit but not going mad or anything. Then I heard a voice saying 'Get your dogs out of my garden'.

I couldn't see anyone so I got the dogs out. Just as I was leaving the same voice (a man) shouted 'Ignorant cow!'

So I turned back and said 'What did you say?' The man goes 'This is a children's play area, not somewhere for your dog's to s**t all over'. So I said 'Well put a fence up then!'

He shouts 'Fat cow!' so i shouted 'Kiss my a**e!'

I was highly offended as I am below average dress size for the UK Maybe I shouldn't have eaten so much pasta last night.

Those poor dogs had no room to exercise, literally a space 4 feet by 8 feet. There were no kennels or anything that I would expect a proper breeder to have. The houses here are small (2 bedrooms) so I don't know where he's keeping the puppies.

I'm just hoping the idiot gets a fence put up at the bottom of his garden. But next time my friend's dog goes chasing cats I am not going after it!

Just realised, maybe I shouldn't have said BYB in the thread title. I'm just assuming there, but from his attitude and the conditions his dogs were being kept in, I don't think he's a good dog owner.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 06:50 PM
isnt there anyone u can report him to???council maybe.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't know. TBH I was thinking of the RSPCA but I don't think they could do anything as the dogs look well fed.

I was speaking to my friend who is a PCSO and he thinks there isn't actually a legal requirement to have a fence!

I have another friend who is in CID so I'm going to give her a ring see what she thinks. I really hope he puts a fence up soon though.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I was also under the impression that it was a legal requirement to have your property securely fenced if you kept dogs.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 12:38 PM
4 x 8 feet would be considered an adaquate house run for the dogs and if they are let into the house then there would be no problem as far as the dogs were concerened, the lack of fence probably means they let their dog out into the field whenever it suits to exercise which may be why you have not seen them.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 12:50 PM
True, it could be that Pita. My OH said maybe they let them out in the middle of the night or something.

I think the main reason for having the fence down is so his kids can go in and out of the field. But I don't think he can complain if dogs gets in there if there's nothing to stop them getting in!

My dogs don't go in (apart from that once yesterday when Bryan followed me) but my friend's dog has been in twice now, casing a cat.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Agree about the fence, if the area is used by people to exercise their dogs off lead then it is inevitable that dogs will walk in there, chasing a cat or not, dog are if anything even nosier than we are
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Very true Pita...especially terriers