Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2005, 09:35 PM

dandruff and maxs coat

ok i am a bit worried (not hysterical like usual)
maxs coat in the last week is a bit dandruffy. obviousley he had his op but nothing else has change apart from a drop in usual exercise. i noticed today aswell his coat is coming through a bit lighter in patches i have always been proud of his very very dark chocolate colour and dont want a milk chocolate one! what if anything can i do?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2005, 10:49 PM
indie looks like she has dandruff too id be interested to hear the replies on this
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Tetley has it a bit too
I tend not to worry about it, but I did find this if it's helpful:

If your dog has white skin flakes around the neck, back or rump, he's probably got dandruff and there are some things that you can do. First, do not use shampoos made for human beings on your pet, especially not baby shampoos or medicated shampoos. A dog's skin has different ph level than human skin, so the chemicals in people shampoo can actually harm your pet's skin. Instead, try using dry skin and seborrhea shampoos especially for dogs. These shampoos contain sulfur or salicylic acid. Be sure to follow the directions on the label.

Make sure that you thoroughly rinse your dog after shampooing. The shampoo residue can cause your dog to itch and scratch. Fatty acid supplements such as Drs. Foster & Smith Vitacaps or Vitacoat and oatmeal shampoos could be helpful for the coat and for the removal of dander.

If your dog continues itching, scratching, whimpering, or is otherwise in distress, please get your pet to the veterinarian. The presence of dandruff can sometimes indicate that the onset of serious health problems such as skin infections, allergies or an invasion of nasty parasites.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2005, 11:31 PM
he is not itching or bothered by it at all he is just a bit speckl down his back not massively just a bit but i keep digging around in his fur now looking for flakes! i think i was a monkey in a previous life cant stop picking!
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Hi Katy,

I found Satchmo's scurf was related to the Eukanuba he was on when we first got him, but only because someone mentioned that that particular brand was known for it.

You could try adding olive oil to his food - 1tsb per meal should be enough. I use garlic olive oil for Satch, so he gets both oil and garlic

Becs
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Not long after we got Snorri-dog, we noticed that he had scurf ("dandruff-like" flakes) all over. When medicated (for dogs) shampoo failed to work, we mentioned it to the vet during his initial jabs.

The advice we were given was to put oil in his dinner, any kind (but, obviously, not 3 in 1 or the like! ), so we started giving him a few drops of sunflower oil nightly. It worked marvellously; we haven't seen a flake since!

Apparently, the oil helps to transmit vitamins through the skin, thus nourishing the coat. Pantene ProV for Border Collies, just a lot cheaper!

HTH
Snorri

P.S. - it helped also to dispel the strong aroma of barn which came supplied as a free extra
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Luna has a bit too, I thought it was because she's shedding her wintercoat. She gets a bit lighter aswell....
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Bruno gets it a bit in winter too. I use Mirra-cote (an oil added to his food).
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi Katy can I just add has this got worse since the op and since max was ill? Often it seems to because when these things happen to a dog you are altering what goes it's body/drugs/antibodies fighting infection...things containing omega 3 seem to help like fish body oil..(not cod liver oil that comes from the liver as it says) have to say again since being on Burns which contains oils Amy has had no scurf problems. You can get FBO from health food shops or for dogs via a net search ..better for dosage....if you do decide to use FBO try as with all things to get as pure as you can Hope Max has recovered from his ordeal
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 12:30 PM
he has only had it since his op mini but as j has said luna has got it and is shedding her winter coat and coming through lighter i think max is doing the same i will ty the oil
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >