Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2007, 11:50 AM

midge repellent for dogs?

Hi
We are going to a part of Scotland on holiday with a large midge population. Does anyone know of anything to keep the midges off dogs - does flea/tick repellent help or is there anything else that works? Thanks for any ideas.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 12:56 PM
sorry, don't know.

Not sure they will need any though - haven't heard of dogs suffering - my two don't (mind you, the midgies where I stay are nowhere near as vicious as those over the west/north!).

Ifif there is a time when they may get bitten, its only if they are lying around outside when the midgies come out.

Enjoy your holiday & keep your fingers crossed for bright sunshine (or failing that wind! - the midgies don't like either)
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I have about 8 bites presently and that's just the back garden in Edinburgh! Have your dogs been bothered with them before? I would have thought they would prefer your bare skin to hairy skin and if they are biting you they won't be bothering your dogs When we went on holiday to Fort William and to Arran (both have a bad reputation) I used a repellent which was very effective for me called Neem which is entirely non chemical. Mostly essential oils so would not harm your dog. I have heard that Lemongrass oil mixed with water and put in a puffer spray is also effective. And there is a cream made by Avon believe it or not whose scent repels midgies. Hope you manage to get hold of some of these things. I got the Neem in a chemist shop (Lloyds) Also they very often have loads of midge repellents locally at midge prone places so you may be better to wait til you get there.:smt001
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I had two of my pointers in the kennel in the garden when we had a really bad year for midges. They came in COVERED with bites. A piriton sorted them out but midges do bite dogs. Not sure they would get through the hair though as pointers have short hair.

I bought a repellant last year which is pretty good. It's called midge and mozzie repellent (www.midgeandmozzie.com) and is a "natural safe alternative that works! Deet free, non-toxic repellent that effectively repels midges..."

The Avon stuff is ok but the midges to stick to you! It's called Skin so Soft and is a rehydrating spray.

Helen
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Here is a useful website about midges www.ihatemidges.co.uk
and you can get that neem neem from www.neemco.co.uk:-)
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I had two of my pointers in the kennel in the garden when we had a really bad year for midges. They came in COVERED with bites. A piriton sorted them out but midges do bite dogs. Not sure they would get through the hair though as pointers have short hair.

I bought a repellant last year which is pretty good. It's called midge and mozzie repellent (www.midgeandmozzie.com) and is a "natural safe alternative that works! Deet free, non-toxic repellent that effectively repels midges..."

The Avon stuff is ok but the midges to stick to you! It's called Skin so Soft and is a rehydrating spray.

Helen
Thanks Helen.. I might get some of that for me as I seem to have lost the neem. scratch itch. Interesting to hear that someone has used the Avon skin so soft but it sounds a bit sticky! They have never gone for my dog but he has a lot of hair as you say. However the website does say that they actually prefer sheep and cattle so maybe dogs too. They seem to prefer some humans over others don't they. They def like me
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks - we do have human midge repellent and also the Avon one - just thinking about our pup and what is ok for him. They usually like the taste of my other half so hopefully pup and I will escape the worst of it.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Some of the topical spot on treatments do work..Zodiac flea & tick control also repels mosquitoes, (I get mine online form America within about 4 days) or if you would like to use a natural alternative you could try a natural tick and fly repellent. This one is made up of; 2 Cups Vinegar,1 Cup Avon Skin So Soft, 1 Cup Water, 1 Tablespoon Eucalyptus Oil and 1 Tablespoon Citronella Oil.
Put in a spray bottle and spray dog's coat.
Also putting apple cider vinegar in the dog's water will help.

To put mosquitoes off biting you can use, 4 parts glycerine 4 parts alcohol and 1 part eucalyptus oil.

Alternatively make a solution of equal parts of isopropyl alcohol and methyl phthalate.

Or a very easy one is just to use a few drops of citronella essential oil diluted in distilled water and use in a spritzer. (not quite as effective though).

Hope that helps..in fact I really hope that helps, as we too are off to Scotland in a few weeks time