Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 01:36 PM

Tick Repellent

Hi Everyone,

I'm off to Scotland in a few weeks (have found a really really nice cottage that is dog friendly ) it's in the Highlands with loads of off lead walks and a secure fenced paddock for dogs to be excercised in (9 acres! ) however, I've been told that Ticks are rife up there, I've used Frontline on my two for about 3 years but this year it seems nothing will kill the damn ticks off, and that Frontline is less effective, they pick the ticks up from the forest anyway but I'm starting to find more and more than usual for this time of year and I know that the other people have been told that they're finding Frontline less effective as well. So just wanted to know has everyone else found this as well ? If so what else do you use ? Flea's havent been a problem, the Frontline seems to be working in the respect but I'm getting sick of finding little 'pebbles' on my carpet

I've always removed them as soon as I've felt them on both the dogs, with tweezers and twisting anticlockwise, I've never had a problem with leaving a head in there, it's always removed the whole thing, however I'm just determined to give them something that will either kill the ticks off fairly quickly (like frontline used to !!) or something that will make the dogs not so appealing to the little ******** !

The golden for some reason always seems to get them more than the flatcoat, I used to give them a pill of odourless garlic each night but stopped about a month ago, do you think this has got something to do with it ?

I've been told as well that there is a natural rememdy that you can give your dog and it gives off a smell from the dog that the ticks dont find attractive. But anyway I'd love to know of other things that people use to stop the little 'darlings' having a feast on their dogs.

Thanks !

Willow xx
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Ive been lucky with the frontline never had a tick yet but I make sure Star gets done every month during the summer if we will be out in the countryside a lot.

Would like to know of a natural remedy that I could use also
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 02:07 PM
We tried tea tree oil wipes last year and it was the first year we had no ticks at all. So we are doing that again this year. It's a bit time consuming having to wipe them everytime we go out but if it works as well this year as last it's time well spent.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 02:09 PM
We ended up with a tick in Wales! Horrid things. After going, "yuck" we bought some tweezers that you heat up and this oil stuff that's meant to make the little critter release its grip, but after the heated tweezers it was toast anyway
Not sure if this was the best way but it died and after about a week and a half, the whole shrivelled mess fell off.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 02:29 PM
We cover them in vaseline and they let go and can be taken off quite easily.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 02:45 PM
I had one last week, and although I had put the Vaseline on I found the nail varnish remover the best for killing it prior to removing it. I didn't know you can get tea-tree wipes so that's what I will be doing now, as at the moment I am using a cotton pad with tea-tree oil on and I use this before we go out on them. Btw, are you using the new Frontline Combi pipettes that you think aren't working, or are you using the old type Frontline pipettes or the Frontline spray? I stopped using the pipettes last November as I thought they were making my dogs scratch even more, and funilly enough they haven't scratched at all since then! But, and that's a big but, I may have to resort to it during the hot summer if nothing else works for them.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Pet planet and pets at home both do tea tree wipes I'm sure other places must as well http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...=55&co=tiscali