Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2009, 08:48 AM

What cars for big dogs?

Im looking into changing the wifes car because samson is way to big for it. Shes got a yaris and he takes the whole of the back seats up!

With a budget of around 5k, i was thinking a VW Golf? I have seen some toyota rav4's for around 6-7k too.

She wont drive an estate.

Any other ideas for cars?
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Try a Honda CRV you should get a 02/03 for around £5k.

I know some good car dealers on the Wirral if you want a reference to one.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 10:07 AM
I drive a Rav4 and the boot is nice and big. I don't know if the shape of the car was different in older models though - mine is a new model. I think that most large breeds would be fine in it - don't think they would be able to stand comfortably but certainly okay sitting and lying down.

I love my car. They are roomy for a non-estate and still pretty snazzy looking. Can't stand "Mummy" type cars - even though I am one!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager plenty of head room for Ollie, which he didn't have in the Volvo Estate. The back bench seat is turned round for him so it faces the rear door and he can sit or lay up there and see out and also plenty of room on the floor is he chooses to sit or lie there too.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I have a Rav 4 and my German Shepherds had plenty of room in the back but it has to be a 5 door as the 3 door is a lot smaller in the back. Its a brilliant car can't find fault with it at all.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I am selling a Rav4 for £2,000 (It is a W reg, 2000) and is in fab condition It is only a 3 door but has plenty of room with the back seats down (or I took them out). I could fit one GSD and two BCs in mine.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I have a Nissan X-trail, and it's got loads of room in the back for my gsd. You should be able to pick up one in decent nick for £5,000. Moobli's sounds like a good deal though
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 01:42 PM
If you want a smaller car with a large boot then have a look at the renault scenic.Cheap,reliable,a nice drice and easy maintenance
terryc
New Member!
Male 

28-01-2009, 07:34 AM
If you are thick skinned I would reccomend the vauxhall amiga ,suzuki wagon r or the perodua kenari .They are all small cars with enormous interiors .I've got the kenari its got a 1 litre daihatsu engine so is economical and with the seats down I get both my full grown Borzois in the back ,they can stand up without banging their heads and lay down or move around as well.It cost me £4000 with only 64 miles on the clock with a few more miles on them you can pick them up for around £2000 .But as I said you need thick skin as people take the mick Cheers Terry.
BWS
Listed Rescue on Dogsey

28-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I have a fiat doblo and this is my 3rd just fantastic for the dogs I have had 5 boxers in the back of mine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >