Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2015, 06:34 PM

Gypsy, Fagin, Scout and Tess

mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Cute... what's on fluffy's neck... intriguing.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Lovely to see your little family Gordon
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Fluffy (Scout) is wearing a terrier couple which is a short series of three light chain links attached to her leather collar, when walking the lead is clipped on to the last link.
In her case she has it on whilst running free because in the past we had really bad recall problems with her (she has a very high prey drive - being a fell terrier who was obtained from a local hunt) and game scents or some chance to pursue moving objects would completely obliterate any recall commands. We tried her on a long line, which helped but she could bite through it very quickly and the links make this impossible. Now that her recall is back on line we currently leave the "couple" on and it acts as a bit of a psychological brake, we think that she probably thinks somewhere in her very tiny terrier brain that she is still attached to a long line! Eventually when we are satisfied she will no longer be a threat to anyone or anything else and her recall is what we would consider "as good as it will get" the couple will be removed as it will no longer be needed.
Hope this rather long winded explanation makes sense. They are a regular piece of equipment with working terriers in this country and I've never had to explain one before. But tried my best!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Love Gypsy, LG, she is beautiful, what a wonderful expression
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Love them! Tess looks a right Diva!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2015, 07:44 PM
they are all beautiful Gordon, fancy a couple of norty staffy x pups for a holiday? they would love being with your dogs and maybe you could teach them that when they are called they are meant to come back...do it in training or an enclosed field but with other dogs and people about...no chance
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Oh now,they are a gorgeous bunch Scout has hair like mine Can't make my mine up which one is my fav .......alright then...Fagin
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Fluffy (Scout) is wearing a terrier couple which is a short series of three light chain links attached to her leather collar, when walking the lead is clipped on to the last link.
In her case she has it on whilst running free because in the past we had really bad recall problems with her (she has a very high prey drive - being a fell terrier who was obtained from a local hunt) and game scents or some chance to pursue moving objects would completely obliterate any recall commands. We tried her on a long line, which helped but she could bite through it very quickly and the links make this impossible. Now that her recall is back on line we currently leave the "couple" on and it acts as a bit of a psychological brake, we think that she probably thinks somewhere in her very tiny terrier brain that she is still attached to a long line! Eventually when we are satisfied she will no longer be a threat to anyone or anything else and her recall is what we would consider "as good as it will get" the couple will be removed as it will no longer be needed.
Hope this rather long winded explanation makes sense. They are a regular piece of equipment with working terriers in this country and I've never had to explain one before. But tried my best!
All four are beautiful in their own different ways, the photos show how fit and healthy they are, a real credit to you both.

Although recall is obviously important, have you ever thought that all Scout is doing when she goes after game is trying to provide food for the pack (That's you, mem, and her three cannine companions)
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2015, 08:49 PM
It's not the game that's the main problem Harvey, I can get her back as most things go to ground or fly off. It's chasing mountain bikes for (literally) miles and biting through their tyres. Or attacking joggers or hikers that can prove troublesome. By comparison to the other three she is tiny but has a temper and tenacity you wouldn't believe. The problem came to a head after she had chased a bunch of people on racing bikes along the Huddersfield road weaving in and out of very busy sunday traffic, so something had to be done sharpish!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >