Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggies4Evers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2007, 08:35 PM

How do you pick out your new dog?

A question poped in my head which made me wonder: How do you pick your new dog from the shelter/where ever? What are the temperment, size, anything else that would suit and require you on taking this lovely dog/puppy home with you today. What do you look for in a dog? Personally? Looks? What makes a good dog in your books to make you pick this dog then the others. What is it about them
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 08:42 PM
So far all of my dogs I have had from puppies, although I am certain that my next dog shall be a rescue I just love the idea of taking a dog from a bad situation and giving them a whole new life!

For me, looks do not come into it, I believe every dog is beautiful regardless of shape or size. I do prefer to own medium - large dogs but I would never push the little ones aside! To me it is the personality that counts. When I went to choose Max (we had pick of litter) he was the first to come trotting over to say hello and I just knew he was the one I think that when you find your perfect companion you just know
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 09:13 PM
For me I have to be strict with myself or I would find it almost impossible to choose
I therefore lean toward those which have had the toughest time resulting in behaviour [ or because of disablities ], which mean they would get passed over otherwise.
My doggy crew include elements such as deafness and/or human aggression issues, and in some cases past and present came to me at the request of rescue asking me if I would consider specific special needs dogs, [ before anyone gets any ideas, with five dogs now I am at my limit at this time ! ].

Same goes for moggies, the least likely to get a home through behaviour difficulties or disability are the priority candidates for me. I have nine such moglets at this time.

I am planning to get a couple of rescue goats when I have sorted their secure area and shelter and the same criteria will apply, as in those in the most need but getting the least interest.
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 09:30 PM
The girls (apart Maggot) where all chosen for their colour. maggie came from an all black litter so i chose the fattest stockest little girl in there with Diggory i had the choice of two dogs both with the same markings and colours. i choose Dig because the white strip on his forehead was straight and his brothers ran off to one side.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 09:49 PM
When I went to view the litter of six puppies, there were only two who were still available - a dog and a bitch. The bitch did not settle in my arms when given to me to hold - the dog snuggled in. So, I like to think Oscar chose me.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 09:59 PM
They all picked me, it was mostly fate really I like to believe!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 10:37 PM
For me I have to consider lifestyle before choosing a dog. I'd have to have a dog that got on well with other dogs, wasn't too destructive (living with parents), could cope with being left some of the time and also one that is used to cats (although Isla doesn't seem to agree on this one! ).

When I went to get Pickles I wanted a Lurcher or Greyhound as I knew there were so many needing homes (we didn't have a cat back then). I went round and had a look, but all the dogs I could consider didn't fit the "criteria" (hate saying like that, but you know what I mean!). Pickles was the first one I saw, but bypassed him as he was a Terrier cross, he did stick in my memory though cos his whole butt wagged when I said hello. Turns out he fit most of the criteria and home he came.

10 years on he's still here, well in body but perhaps not so much in the mind. Nothing new there though!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post

When I went to get Pickles I wanted a Lurcher or Greyhound as I knew there were so many needing homes (we didn't have a cat back then).
My Fluke says please dont tar all Lurchers with the same brush

His Lurcher foster brothers, [ where he lived before I adopted him ], would`nt dream of doing anything untoward to the resident cats they live with either

Not all Lurchers are norty around moggies
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:32 PM
With all my others I've either bred them or picked them as puppies for their breeding or show potential, but Dax is different. I wanted a dog but as I'm now alone & slightly disabled I'd decided it couldn't be a GSD then I saw Dax on the rescue website & it was love at first sight. He suited me & I suited him. As I said in rescue chat he's my best Christmas present ever.
bonio
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-05-2007, 12:30 AM
Not as Lucy was a rescue but similar senario in that I was looking for a dog (not puppy) with quite a few criteria. First I decided on a ECS and then Lucy herself who was a perfect match.

Size
Exercise
Intelligence
Grooming and moulting
Basic training - House and could sit anything else a bonus, 1st dog lack of skills & personal issues
Loving
No behavioural issues as I dont have skills to cope
Preferably had the chop
Under 3 possibly 4 years - personal reasons
Liked children (Not that I have any but there are a lot around my area)
Barking/Japping
Feeding cost
Car travel - again lack of skills if problem travelling

I was not concerned over colour or tail docked I had my preference if I was getting a puppy but as it was an older dog I did not mind. (Not like I could stick the tail back on). Preferred a bitch but again if dog had of come up then that would have been fine.

I took quite a lot into account and choosing what would be best for me and so best for my dog. Obviously looks paid a part in choosing the breed but ECS seemed the best fit and I think they are gorgeous anyway so that was great match.

As it happens I really come up trumps with Lucy.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >