View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 01:09 PM
we foster and we also have entire dogs and bitches here with mum being a shower/breeder.

Alot of the time we foster the dogs are already 'done', but other times we have them done when in our care, Like at present we have a HL Chinese Crested entire male crested in as an emergancy foster since last night - so we shall have him castrated while we foster.

The good things are clear - Helping an animal in need, and enjoying the dog while you have it.
The bad points - Having to let the dog go, the foster not getting on with your current dogs and causing hell, having a very needy dog that needs alot of time with behaviour problems (That can be a problem as you are spending so much time with the foster your dogs may get pushed out a little bit, so you have to try and spread your time).

I also find that people some times dont understand a breed/dog correctly and alot of fosters will say no to taking a dog when its notes are told to them. This CC we got yesterday is meant to be aggressive? Fearful and a little git! Hmm no hes has showed no sign of being aggressive, no feal (and he has come into a home with 3 strangers and many strange dogs).. Yes he is a little git, but thats just a hyper CC that wants to play.. They soon settle down. How many people would have said no to an aggressive dog ? alot! Yet again its just people not understanding, and previous owners giving stupied reasons to dump dogs.

we foster for TLDR (The Little Dog Rescue)! we are on the books for our breed rescue but havent actually ever fostered for them.

You could also think about doing transport runs thats another thing rescue needs loads of help with. we done one yesterday to get this CC home, It was a very long drive but ever so worth it!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 02:53 PM
i think its sad that rescues will say no to someone trying to help for a reason like that! its something that could be worked around by letting you foster females or neutered males... i would keep checking out rescues, and see if you can find one who wont take issue with that.

i plan to foster in the future, i need to get my own place first though lol.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Well i will be fostering for NIS rescue when i go part time now and see how that goes
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Thats great news good luck and let us know how it goes
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2