Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:21 PM

Prong collars

I've been reading a thread about prong collars on another forum and wondered what you all thought of them.
Some people are saying they don't hurt and they're kinder than choke chains
I'm glad I haven't had to deal with a dog which has been that hard to manage, but I can't help feeling there should be a better way.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Prong collars are hateful, draconian, instruments of torture.

They look like something from the middle ages. I can't imagine a need for such a thing.

Dawn R.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Until recently I'd never even heard of them. I just wondered if they were common and I'd somehow missed seeing them.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
Prong collars are hateful, draconian, instruments of torture.

They look like something from the middle ages. I can't imagine a need for such a thing.

Dawn R.
Well said! I also never use choke chains..........If you teach your dog where you want them to walk then you have no need to use any force to get them back where you want them.

If you have to use something to help you a bit i much prefer to use head collars, harnesses and wondawalkers.

Much much kinder. People who use choke chains and prone collars often argue that they do not hurt if used correctly............i would like to put one of them to test their theory..............but i know that the answer they would give me is that dogs necks are different to peoples!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:51 PM
."i would like to put one of them to test their theory......."

supposed to say i would like to put one on them...

got carried away in my rant.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 11:04 PM
they look pretty diabolical in my opinion... how can they possibly 'not hurt'? if they didn't hurt, a dog wouldn't recoil into a forced heel position would it?!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post

If you have to use something to help you a bit i much prefer to use head collars, harnesses and wondawalkers.

Much much kinder. People who use choke chains and prone collars often argue that they do not hurt if used correctly............i would like to put one of them to test their theory..............but i know that the answer they would give me is that dogs necks are different to peoples!
What is the difference to that tightening round the neck to a halti tightening round the nose both can have the same damagin effect.
I dont agree with the prone collar.
ATD
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Halti's are kinder and they don't tightened around the dogs nose. They should also not be tugged or checked. When i use them i stand still when the dog pulls, not suddenly or roughly, and if the dog chooses to continue to walk their hand turns towards you. There's a big difference between something that continues to tighten around the dogs neck compared to a halti.

I prefer to use flat collars.

Both the Association of pet dog trainers and the association of pet behavioural counsellors do not allow their members to use any type of check chain, prone collar etc due to the damage they can cause and the lack of evidence that either of them actually teach the dogs what you want at all, they merely provide a pain/shock.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Wouldn't use either pronged or choke chain collars.......imagin myself having to wear..doesn't bear thinking about.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Just had a look at the prong collar on Wikpedia. It looks like a medieval torture device! I'd never even consider for a second putting one of them on my Benson.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »