Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 12:23 AM

Jinty has stared pining in her crate....,

What can I do about it?

At the moment, we lead her in with a kong and shes usually fine; but if we're there (about the house) she will cry. Shes also started crying when we get home.

I do not let her out of the crate until she is calm and quiet, because I don't want her to think crying will mean shes let out.....

Am I doing the right thing? Is there any more I can do??
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
What can I do about it?

At the moment, we lead her in with a kong and shes usually fine; but if we're there (about the house) she will cry. Shes also started crying when we get home.

I do not let her out of the crate until she is calm and quiet, because I don't want her to think crying will mean shes let out.....

Am I doing the right thing? Is there any more I can do??
Did you or the breeder "crate train" her or did you just start locking her in the crate?

Why do you keep her locked in the crate if you are in the house? Is this during the night?

Ideally you start off by putting beds and toys in the crate, letting pup explore and encourage pup to go in and out. After a day or two when pup is happy to go in and out, close the door for 1-2 minutes maximum, if quiet and well behaved open door and behave normally. If noisey and cries, open door immediately and behave normally. Wait another day or so and then start again trying with the door closed. This is how you work up time spent in the crate and what is called crate training. You work the time up very very gradually which makes it easier for pup to accept.

Some dogs dont and wont accept crates and sometimes that has to be accepted too
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Just wondered how long she is in the crate? How old is she?

I always think it's important to "listen" to what our dogs are telling us. Has anything altered? Has she previously been fine, and now is not?

As if so, I'd suggest a video camera set to record her to see what is happening.

Wys
x