Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Hope Fern is ok. {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} to you all. xxxx
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Hope Fern is feeling a little better this morning Ingrid, I was panicing with you last night
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
Glad to hear Fern is ok, like mini said this happened to my Lily on Saturday morning, one minute she was fine, the next her muzzle was swollen, hot and hard, couldn't see anything obvious like a sting/bite, but luckily we did have some antihistamine in our cupboard, so gave her some......it did take a couple of hours to go down, but thankfully she's back to normal now.

I have called my vet this morning and I'm popping in later to pick up some doggie antihistamine, just to be on the safe side.

I was just wondering if Fern could have had some Piriton tablets to help his swelling go down. Aren't doggy antihistamines and human ones the same or is there a difference. I know I asked our vet if it was safe to give Benji Piriton and he said yes and he looked it up in the book and said he could have 3 a day (every 8 hours) and he is only a Bichon - so wouldn't a large dog like Fern be able to have at least a couple or maybe more frequent than 8 hours apart?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:15 AM
That's what we did, we gave Lily one of our son's antihistamine tablets for his hayfever.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:17 AM
What a relief. I was imagining all sorts.

Meg had a very similar allergic reaction after a run in the park when she was a puppy. Her face swelled up and had little lumps all over. I took her straight to the vets and they gave her adreneline I think. She was car sick in those days and on the way back she was sick and threw up loads of little orange berries that she must have scoffed when I wasn't looking! It's never happened again. With adreneline the swelling seemed to go down within half an hour.

Very glad to hear everything is OK.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi guys

What a night, I tell you he thrashed about in his crate all night He had a wet teatowel to help sooth but because he is teething and his gums are blooded he took to chewing on this instead.

Anyway the swelling has gone down today what a relief, but the silly dog - I took him out to the garden to go puddles and he refused to move off the landing so I pranced around the garden like a right idiot to entice him down, dread to think what the neighbours thought

He turned his head into our raised garden area and voila stuck his head into what looks like a stinging nettle This could be it!!!! So I grabbed him as quick as I could, rubbed a wet cloth over his face.

Still SIR FERN thinks that its too cold to step onto the grass to go puddles so he charged past me on the grass, and ran to the concrete patio area, took a long hard gaze at me and proceeded to puddle all over the patio

He's just had some rice and crushed wet hills, and I left him in his crate for a snooze.

I'm going to get Piriton as it has been suggested to be on the safe side in future, I will check to see whether his putting of his face into the nettle has made his face worse.

Thanks for caring guys, Fern's a lucky dog to have so many friends
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:43 AM
So glad he is ok That's a relief

Not sure about the Nettles, Archie walks into bushes of nettles and they don't seem to bother him

Let us know anyway Hugs to Fern
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Hi guys

What a night, I tell you he thrashed about in his crate all night He had a wet teatowel to help sooth but because he is teething and his gums are blooded he took to chewing on this instead.

Anyway the swelling has gone down today what a relief, but the silly dog - I took him out to the garden to go puddles and he refused to move off the landing so I pranced around the garden like a right idiot to entince him down, dread to think what the neighbours thought

He turned his head into our raised garden area and voila stuck his head into what looks like a stinging nettle This could be it!!!! So I grabbed him as quick as I could, rubbed a wet cloth over his face.

Still SIR FERN thinks that its too cold to step onto the grass to go puddles so he charged past me on the grass, and ran to the concrete patio area, took a long hard gaze at me and proceeded to puddle all over the patio

He's just had some rice and crushed wet hills, and I left him in his crate for a snooze.

I'm going to get Piriton as it has been suggested to be on the safe side in future, I will check to see whether his putting of his face into the nettle has made his face worse.

Thanks for caring guys, Fern's a lucky dog to have so many friends

Glad he's feeling a bit better MC - I was fearing the worse when I saw your post late last night Yes I would definitely get some Piritons in because they are very useful to have in your cupboard. Make sure you get the ones that have 30 in the packet though - the drowsy ones - not the ones with 7 in.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Nettles are what our vet thought it was.

Originally Posted by tuti
So glad he is ok That's a relief

Not sure about the Nettles, Archie walks into bushes of nettles and they don't seem to bother him

Let us know anyway Hugs to Fern
Page 7 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >